9:16 pm

It was a weird position to be in, standing in the middle of a busy road, with the woman of your dreams in your arms, whispering in your ear. Other people might find this romantic, and so would I, if circumstance would permit. You see, it was 4 in the morning, and she was drunk. And she hates my guts, or used to, I don't know, I'm not sure, I don't care. And I'm not really sure if I did the right thing or not, sending her home, walking away from it all. It's confusing; it should be, I lost my train of thought myself. 

From the top, then.

+ + +

It was the Christmas season, and I was on my way to Ryan's house in Kapitolyo. Ryan went above and beyond to get us together for a barkada reunion, and despite my misgivings I really couldn't say no. Besides, I haven't seen Ryan, Jill, Ching, Red, Ike, Jen, Tonton, and Sarah together for almost a year, and I miss them. Especially Sarah.

Especially Sarah.

I got to Ryan's place just past 9, and sure enough, everybody's there, already done with dinner, already getting drunk. 

"MIIIIIIIIIIIKE!!!" Ching runs up to me and gives me a giant hug. "MY GOD NAGPAKITA KA NA RIN SA WAKAS!!! KAMUSTA KA NA?!?"

"Bingi. Bingi na ko," I rub my ears as I pick up the bag of gifts I dropped when Ching tackled me. At that post, the rest of the barkada stood up and welcomed me. "Kamusta na kayo?"

"Kamusta ka, kamo." Ryan retorted as he took the bag from me. "We haven't seen you for a year! San ka nagtago?"

"Umiiwas yan kay Sarah, uy." Tonton teased before Jill smacked him in the arm.

"Gago, masyado lang busy sa trabaho." Truth is, Tonton wasn't wrong. Speaking of which...

"So nasan nga si Sarah?" I asked, looking around. I thought everybody was there earlier, but Sarah hasn't arrived, apparently.

"Running late daw," Jill said, as she gave me a quick hug. "She's coming from a dinner with Paulo and his friends."

"Who's Paulo?" I asked innocently while my chest tightened a little.

"Sarah's boyfriend," Tonton slurred while lunging at Jill. "Model daw, ewan. May six months na yata sila. Sori, Mike."

"Bakit ka nagsosori?" I laughed while fantasizing how many ways I can smack Tonton in the face. Tadyakin ko 'tong hayop na 'to eh.

Jill shakes Tonton off and pulls me to the couch. "Tama na yan. Umupo ka na dyan at kumain ka na. Mahaba pa ang gabi."

+++ 

An hour passed, then two, and Sarah still wasn't around. I was starting to get worried, but I didn't want to ask out loud. I waited while everybody was distracted before leaning into Jill.

"Um, mag-a-alas dose na, dadating pa ba si Sarah?"

"Oo nga eh. Teka nga, tatawagin ko lang." Jill stands up to go outside and call Sarah up. I followed her. It was too noisy inside anyway and I needed to smoke.

It seemed like forever, but Sarah finally took Jill's call. Jill's expression changed from pissed to concerned. She stood up and walked to a more secluded area. Not a good sign. 

I went back inside to get a bottle of beer. When I stepped out, Jill just ended the call and was on her way back.

"What happened? Is everything okay?" I asked.

"She will be," Jill answered. "She had an argument with Paulo, and they apparently broke up."

"Wow, seriously?"

"Yeah," Jill answered. "They made a scene at the bar raw. Medyo bad. Anyway, she doesn't feel like going here anymore." Jill looked at me with pity, "I'm sorry".

To hell with that- "Where is she?"

"I don't know. She wouldn't tell." Jill patted my arm. "Anyway, pasok muna ko, ha."

Well, that's that. Looks like I'm not going to see Sarah tonight. Ang ganda naman ng timing. Sayang. Anyway, I should make the most of this night and have fun with my friends who I haven't seen in over a year. Because I was avoiding Sarah. Who still haunts me. Until now.

Wait.

I left the party, not bothering to say goodbye to anybody.