Chapter 3: Helping the Weak

The air chilled my bones, and I was left with my thoughts as I trekked back up the Throat of the World. I clutched the pretty green amulet I had pickpocketed from Ralof when I shoved past him in the doorway. Had I made the right choice?

I snuck past the guards, glimpsing the familiar glint of scales buried under snow.

"Parthy? I'm back..."

But he didn't respond.

"Parthy?"

Slightly panicked, I rushed towards the mound of snow, digging at it relentlessly.

"Parthy? Parthy, are you okay? Talk to me!"

Finally I uncovered his head. His eyes were closed and his mouth hung open. Gasping for breath from the tears, I dug the snow until I found a reddish tint in it. Blood. The guards had killed him.

"No..."

I cried, and held his head in my arms. Why would they do this to Parthy? He was such a sweet, kind dragon. And now he was dead. Then I heard a slight groan.

Parthy opened one eye and locked it with mine.

"Oh, thank Talos you're not dead!" I sobbed.

"(Y/N), listen," he groaned, "I will die. But I have a parting gift to you, my sil, my soul. Use it to learn the Dragon Aspect shout. Remember that you can do this, I believe in you."

"Goodbye, Parthy," I cried.

"Aal hin va'alun aus," he replied, taking his last breath.

Suddenly, I felt the familiar warmth of a dragon's soul entering my body, and I took a deep breath in. All that was left of Paarthurnax was a dragon skeleton, and this filled me with rage and sadness. I laid by the body of my friend for a long time, until I fell asleep.

I woke up when the sun stretched across the horizon, and heard the familiar roars of dragons. Rubbing my face with fresh snow to wake up, I looked across the horizon. The guards. They had killed my friend. They would die.

I harnessed Parthy's soul, and shouted,

"Mul Qah Diiv!"

I was suddenly clothed in bright, glowing armor and I felt my strength returning. The cold stopped chilling my bones, my skin healed, and I felt like I could run from Solitude to Riften.

"I will make sure you didn't die in vain, Parthy," I growled.

Having heard my shout, the dragon guards rushed up to destroy me. They must've been waiting for me to come back. But I wasn't afraid of them anymore. Parthy was watching out for me. And I would not suffer anymore, like he said.

With a whoosh, an ice spike appeared in my hand and I flung it at the first dragon. Even though I had no physical weapons, my magic was strong and could defeat any foe. The dragon froze in place, slowed down by the chilling effects of the ice spike. I quickly conjured a flame atronach to aid me in this battle. The second dragon attempted to hit me with its tail but I leapt over it with agility I forgot I had, and in midair conjured a magical sword. Stabbing downward, I had no time to see if the dragon was dead because the other was trying to spew frost at me. I summoned a ward and deflected the frost, allowing my flame atronach to get in some good hits. Soon both dragons laid dead at my feet.

I high-fived the flame atronach, and it dissolved with a hiss. Fighting those dragons had given me the confidence I needed restored in myself. I smiled as my soul gained two more dragon souls, strengthening my resolve. I would not fail. Not again.

Looking over the edge of the mountain, I saw several dragons dive-bombing Riverwood.

Ralof.

I had completely forgotten about my friend, and he was probably in trouble! How would I get down the mountain in time to save the hold? I glimpsed my iron shield buried in the snow near my cave. I had an idea.