2

───── ❝ Trace Your Steps ❞ ─────☆

Todd has been rambling about last night since he got in Brandy and Sandra's car. Every word that leaves his mouth has to do with the pain in his neck or his headache.

"My mom wrote me a gym note," Todd crawls out of the back seat as Brandy holds the door open for him.

After he's out, Brandy slams it closed. "You're fine, Todd."

"Am not." He whines. "I have whiplash."

"Fake whiplash," Sandra chimes in, and as she walks around the opposite side of the car, Brandy and Todd start walking into the school.

Brandy adjusts her books and folders in her arms as she nudges Todd. "You're the one who told me to drive fast."

"You're the one who almost hit a kid," He nudges back.

Brandy shoots him a death glare as they enter the school.

Weaving through the main hall of the school was the toughest part of Brandy's day. She would hate to get stepped on, or bumped into, or have her books thrown from her arms. It's a challenge students face almost every day, but they grow accustomed to the hassle with time.

Todd walks freely, holding onto nothing but a few notebooks at his side.

As the three reach their lockers, they give their greetings to Sherry. Brandy flashes a smile while Todd and Sandra stick with a classic 'Hello', and "What's up?"

"We're about to be late," Sherry points out, moving her bangs to the side. She's pulled a piece of hair back, somewhat twisted, and wears a pastel sweater with wide stripes over a button-up.

Brandy would never understand how a girl who dressed so sweetly could be friends with Steve and his crew. It's almost like his obvious fling with Nancy Byers-- but who could ever know the inner thoughts of boys.

Todd puffs out his cheeks, rubbing his head. "I'll just blame my tardiness on my whiplash."

Sherry, unaware of what happened last night, holds her mouth agape with eyes the size of grapefruit. "Whiplash?!"

"How's this for whiplash?" Brandy jokes as she whacks Todd upside the head with her English textbook. She turns to Sherry. "We got in an accident on the way home last night. Todd's overreacting."

"What's new?" Sherry replies. Todd snarls at her before she gives a petty smile back. "What's your damage, Todd?"

"My damage is that none of you are concerned about my well being. I could sue."

Sandra laughs at Todd, tugging at his ear. "Sue for what? You weren't wearing a seatbelt, space cadet."

Todd huffs, reaching out to hit Sandra back. "No body wears seatbelts."