Chapter 12

As I arrive at Shawn's studio, I find him waiting for me in front of the door. He's on his phone and didn't see me coming. So I slow down a bit, looking at him. He is so cute like this... He is wearing black skinny jeans and a denim jacket over a black hoodie. His soft curls are falling on his face as he is looking down at his phone screen.

-Hi! I say !
-Oh hi Maddie ! he answers, giving me a hug.

I follow him inside and notice that we are all alone. He turns the lights on and we walk through a long corridor full of doors.

-My manager Andrew gave me the keys tonight. It'll be just the two of us ! he explains.

He pushes a door and we enter a huge studio.
-Wooooow ! it's amazing !

All around us are computers everywhere, mixing tables, speakers... in front of me is a huge glass window, and behind is the recording room, with a microphone, a drum set, guitars, a piano and other instruments.

-Do you like it ? Shawn asks.
-I love it ! So... is this paradise ?
-Yes it is !

On the walls are posters of his albums and the different prizes he won. I see him type on a computer and then invites me to follow him to the recording room.

-So Madison... he says. Will you let me hear your beautiful voice sing again ?
I can see him blushing a bit and he makes my heart melt a little.
-Maybe...  but I'm a bit nervous right now...
-We can sing together if you want...

He grabs a guitar and sits on a stool with a mic and I take one. He played a few chords and I recognise «A million dreams» from The Greatest showman

« I close my eyes, and I can see
A world that's waiting up for me
That I call my own.
Through the dark, through the door,
Through where no one's been before
But it feels like home...

And then I continue...

They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy...
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind.
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy.
We can live in a world that we design...
»

And then we sing together and I give everything I can, wishing this moment would never end. I see his fingers running through the strings, his lips moving.... I hear his amazing voice, and see his hazel eyes that are looking in mine. The rythm of the music carries me far away, in a world where we are the only ones.

« You may be right, you may be wrong, but say that you'll bring me along to the world you see, to the world I close my eyes to see... »

My heart races. Is it because Shawn Mendes is looking at me? Or is it because the song makes me excited? Maybe both...
The song ends and a smile brightens both our faces.

-Wow that was amazing ! He says.
-I loved it !
He gets up to the « computer room » as I call it.
-Come here ! he calls me.

I join him and he hands me out a pair of headphones like the one he just put on his ears. He turns on the tape and I hear voices lauging. But not any voices. Our voices.
-Wait... you recorded us singing ?
-Yes! I wanted to keep a souvenir of this moment.

We sit on chairs and take the time to listen to it entirely. Hey my voice is not bad at all, I didn't think it sounded so good! But wow, Shawn's voice is on a whole other level! He is very concentrated on the computer screen, and I look at him and feel my cheeks blushing. Shawn awakened something inside me that I can't describe. I feel sincerely good when he is here with me.
At the end of the song, we walk back to the recording room and I sit at the piano and play a melody. «The Corpe Bride's piano duet», but a single musician version. Shawn listens carefully untill the last note.

-You are a great musician Maddi... Can you play the guitar too ? It would be great to play together!
-No... I don't know how to play the guitar...
-I can teach you how to play if you want !
-You would do this for me ?
-Of course !

He gives me the guitar, I sit on a stool and try to play a few chords.

«Here,let me show you how to place your hands.» he says, as he puts his arms around me. He is so close... A shiver runs down my spine. He helps me play some notes, but I can't get my brain to focus on anything else than his breath on my neck and his hands on mine, and the warmth of his body against mine. Damn he's playing with my feelings!
He taught me how to play the guitar for what seemed like a lovely eternity and we sang other songs, like «There's nothing holding me back» and Disney songs.
We eventually had to go back to our homes after some hours... The night had fallen... I did not see the time go by...

-Thank you so much for tonight Maddi. I enjoyed spending time with you.

-I am the one that should thank you ! It was amazing to sing with you ! I say, giving him a kiss on his cheek.
He drove me back home and before I got out of the car, he asked....

-Maddi ?