May 1995, part I

New Jersey, May 1995

"What are we going to eat?"

Jon huffed on the other side.

You tucked the phone between your cheek and your shoulder, mouth slightly opened while you were putting your mascara on.

Six years after their non-conventional wedding, Jon and his wife had decided to organize a huge reception with both families and friends.

Well, a wedding without the church episode.

"My mom insisted on organizing everything, it will be a surprise."

You took the phone back in your hand and left your bathroom for your living room. Jon was rambling to you about last-minute unexpected as you took a metallic tray that was on the counter and hit the wall with it, making the guy that was sleeping on your couch jump and Jon shout a "What's happening, y/n?" on the phone.

Nikki sat up, hair straight on his head, fear on his face. You shrugged and answered on the phone: "Nothing, waking up my date of the day."

"Your... what?"

"Oh, I didn't tell you? I'm coming with someone today."

"Hmm. May I suspect something?"

"Absolutely not. I leave you now, see you in an hour."

You hang up.

Nikki was scratching his eyes and yawned loudly.

For four years, he had become a close friend of yours. You had helped him and his band for two concerts where their guitarist wasn't available in 1991, and they had decided to keep you for their American tour. You couldn't say it had been a friendship at the first sight with the rest of the band, not liking Vince and Tommy's personalities, but you sure got on very well with the bassist. You had been there for him when he had trouble with the band, with Vince leaving and their popularity lowering.

He was passing in town, so you jumped on the occasion to see him and asked him to accompany you.

"Time to get ready Sleeping Beauty, we leave in an hour."

-

The car stopped in front of the huge chateau. You couldn't help but let out a "wow". People were arriving little by little, well dressed, really giving the impression that it was a true wedding.

You grabbed Nikki by the arm and stumbled a bit with your heels on the gravel and swore. He shrugged and said: "Let me help you."

You hadn't the time to say something when he literally took you in the bridal style. He looked at you: "I guess it is of circumstance, eh?"

You laughed and let him lift you walking to the stairs leading to the entry, climbing them with you still in his arms.

People around you threw you questioning looks, and you smiled at them.

You lifted your head upwards and... crossed Jon's gaze, head tilted to the side, waiting for the guests.

Nikki put you on your feet and both of you looked at him, like a child would look at his parents after doing something bad.

The bassist tapped Jon's shoulder: "What's up man? It's been a while." Jon smiled to him, but seemed tensed. You gulped; you recognized it was a bit impolite to show up with someone without telling so, plus arriving with Nikki and his reputation. You had asked him to behave, but...

Jon gave you an understood look, but stepped towards you and took you in his arms nonetheless. You glanced at the place above his shoulder: in front of you was a huge hall, leading to the main room. From where you were, you could already see a lot of round tables with long, white tablecloths.