The Diagnosis

"Yes I'm sorry Ms.Flynn but I told you 6 months ago you should have quit smoking, and you didn't listen to me and now were here." Doctor Jamie said to my mother in the doctors office. My mom had been smoking for almost 2 years now and I told her various times what it could lead to like bad breath and yellow nails but she just took it at a complete joke. I was, and still am scared for her. Just yesterday she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung disses and she isn't even worried. Sometimes I wonder if she is scared of dying. "Ella would you like to listen to you moms lungs" the doctor asked me. Honestly, what type of question is that, why would I want to listen to her lungs failing and the reality that they would just shut down one day. I mean like, do u want to make my life any harder that it already is?
"No thanks, I'm fine." I said trying to be polite.
"Your all done then, your first chemotherapy appointment will be tomorrow at 5pm and remember, no junk food alright?" She explained leading us out of the room. I knew she wouldn't have a problem with the whole no junk-food thing cause she is one of those healthy freaks that never would dare to eat anything greasier than pasta with butter. In the parking lot I talked to her about what having cancer really means because it was almost as if she didn't understand how much this little thing could affect you. She got into the car and turned it on. On our way home she took a hard unexpected left into the McDonalds drive thru. I was so confused, she had never been to a McDonalds before, she doesn't believe in the quality of there food.
"Mom why are we here, are you feeling alright?" I asked in complete confusion.
"Just getting a bite to eat, is that illegal? And plus this might be last time we do take out before you go to university." She explained.
"I don't understand, first of all your doctor said no junk and second, you don't even like McDonalds and third I'm going to university tomorrow." I ranted. She ignored me, as she was coming close to the ordering machine.
"HI, welcome to McDonalds, what can I get for you today?" A nice lady said through the machine.
"2 Big Macs, an XL Diet Coke and a few chicken nuggets. What would you like Ella?"
She asked me thinking everything was alright. " Mom, I'm calling the doctor, your not allowed to be eating this kind of junk!" She nodded, finally understanding that her health actually matters.
"Hello, are you still there mam? Is that all?" The lady said waiting.
"Never mind could you please cancel our order please, thank you. have a nice day."
My mom said, finally she understood. Although I helped her with her eating now, I wonder what it would be like when I have left for university. As we found our way out of the drive thru, I questioned if it would be best to stay home instead of going to university because of the state if health she is in. She refused to have me waste what I've been waiting for, she then dropped me off at the mall to get some last minute things before I had left.
"Bye mom, drive safe. And no more McDonalds." I said to her as I was getting out of the car.
"Ok sweetie, text me when you want a ride home."
She shouted as she was slowly driving away.