21 - Heroes

Out of my paranoia, a flutter of panic went through me as I turned to face him. But this time, I knew who it was.

Staring back at his amused face, a grin spread helplessly across mine before I rushed to finish putting my bike away. Then I ran to the porch, up the steps and into his arms. He took a step back from the unexpected impact, but didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around me nearly as tightly as I hugged him. I rested my head against his chest and closed my eyes, neither of us moving in the silent darkness.

"I've missed you so much, David," I whispered.

He pulled me away from him, placing his palm against my face and without saying anything in reply, he simply kissed me. But it spoke more to me than any words he could have uttered.

Then we parted for a brief moment, our faces still lingering close together. "I was afraid you left without saying goodbye," I said, my voice strained.

"Jamie," he said, placing his hands on my shoulders and looking at me with an intense gaze. "Please know I would never do that to you."

I smiled softly. "Then what took you so long?"

"Well, I have been gone quite a bit lately--busy, really--but the truth is, I've been trying to let things blow over. I've kept in touch around here one way or another and heard about some of the things happening around town. I admit I kept my distance from you and your friends after that night your parents came to the forest, but I didn't want to get you in any more trouble. I'm sorry for not contacting you in some way."

"Oh. I understand. I would always watch for your star in the sky and whenever I saw you, I'd wait, hoping that you'd come to see me. But then you disappeared every time. Why tonight?"

"Because I saw you coming to see me."

"You were in the forest, too? So you saw everything, then?"

He nodded. "Yes, unfortunately. They're still trying?"

"Yes, still trying and still contacting me." I paused, the elation of seeing David again wearing off and reality settling back in. I glanced around and over the fence at the neighbors' houses. "I don't want anyone to see us," I said. "My mom's at work--but of course you know that." I stepped toward the door. "You can come in, if you'd like."

"Of course," he said with a nod.

We stepped in through the backdoor and I lead him into the living room, darkness and silence enveloping us tighter than outside. Suddenly, however, there was a rustle and jingle of dog tags as I switched on the lamps to reveal Sheba standing up from her bed. Immediately, she approached David and sniffed the hand he extended to her, before he lowered himself to his knees to pet her. He glanced around the room, before I drew his attention by closing the window curtains.

"Are things really that bad?" he said, concern shadowing his features. "You aren't having people coming to your house, are you?"

"No. Not yet, anyway. But we can't be too careful. Whether they saw you or just me, it wouldn't be good."

"Yes, about that..." he trailed, taking a seat on the couch.

I sat across from him in the chair. "Sorry, I'm not used to having guests. Would you like anything?"

"No, thank you."

"About that?" I said, recalling what he had previously said.

"Yes, I've only heard some things, but I decided it would be best to catch up on the latest with you."

"Okay. Well, the drama really began that night our parents came to the forest. It's a good thing you left as quickly as possible. We couldn't even put our candles away fast enough." I sighed. "That didn't go well, to say the least. I don't think I've seen my mom so furious. We had it out when we got home. She was mad at me for lying and ditching her on a night she was supposed to fill in for someone at work. She took it off so we could have a weekend night together like we usually do, but I said I had something else going on. That was towards the beginning that we met you. She wasn't happy to find out what it was about."