Chapter Three

Realistic. Joon is plenty realistic. After being alive for twenty-eight years, it's just one of the many skills you acquire, given the regular doze of trauma. A near death experience is simply the cherry on top. As much as it pains him to admit it, Joon had considered the possibility that his soulmate might just not be alive. But it didn't fit with the rules.

In an event where a person dies without meeting their soulmate, the soulmate develops a somewhat washed-out eyesight. The soulmate no longer sees black and white but at the same time, never sees colours as they were originally meant to.

Twenty-eight years old, Joon is somewhat an apt representation of the walking dead. Okay, not exactly, he is still very much attractive but simply dead on the inside.

He doesn't do anything that requires him to go out of his way. He goes to the gym followed by his workplace. He is good at his job and owns a comfortable apartment. He doesn't have to worry about sending money back home as he is able to manage his income well. He also volunteers every Sunday at a retirement home.

It would be a lie to say he has accepted this solitude and is at peace with the black and white world. However, he is no longer angry. For he, now empathises with his soulmate who would be stuck with this two-toned reality as well. He wonders if his soulmate has someone to rely on or simply talk about their day. He wishes every day to cross paths with his partner, but it's no longer just for his sake. Many nights he finds himself thinking if this delay was his fault; if he had somehow messed up and ruined the moment they were destined to meet. Those nights, he lets his emptiness turn into something more fatal: self-hatred.