maze runner |thomas

[THE FINAL SUNSET]
RATED PG
[mentions of death, mentions of blood]
[scroll to continue]

[THE FINAL SUNSET]RATED PG[mentions of death, mentions of blood][scroll to continue]

YOU DIE IN THOMAS'S ARMS AND HE'S FORCED TO GO ON

"Thomas?" you gasp out, holding your hand over your thigh

"Thomas?" you gasp out, holding your hand over your thigh. He shoots one of the guards and turns to you. His mouth falls open in shock, and his eyes start to water. It feels surreal—seeing the person who has always been strong crumble.

You stumble over to him, about to collapse. He helps you down to the floor, your head laying in his lap just like those days in The Glade. He can almost see you tying flowers together, hair absorbing the sun. The parallel was almost too much for him to bear.

"It'll be okay. You're fine." he smiles, but tears still fall down his face. The lie falls through his teeth in a fickle attempt to reassure the two of you.

You shake your head. You've always been smart. You know better. "No, I won't be." Your eyes trail towards your thigh, blood spilling out on the white floor. The rest of the gladers continue to fight so that Thomas can say goodbye to you in peace. Their hearts are heavy. Each and everyone of them love you dearly, but none of them love you like Thomas does. "There's this artery in the thigh, the femoral artery, and if you hit it, you'll most likely bleed out in a few minutes. And it's right about" —you gesture to the hole in your leg with a lazy hand— "here. Besides, you guys have to make it out of here. I'd slow you down."

Thomas looks down at you, his heart aching. It feels hard to breathe. The world you live in is hard enough, but a world without you? That's just unbearable. He vigorously shakes his head, "No. No, okay? I'm not leaving you."

You use all your strength to place your hand on his cheek in a loving manner, "You have to." Your vision slowly becomes blurred as your thigh burns. "Tommy, I'm scared," you admit. His face is blurred, so blurred that you can't see his fake smile drop.

He's never seen you scared before. You were always the one who sacrificed herself, who went first when everyone else refused. He guessed you were just good at masking it. "Don't be, I'm right here. I'm going to call Newt, and we'll bring you-"

You look out of the windows. This is the last sunset you'll ever see. And my god, was it beautiful. You never truly appreciated sunsets before. The swirl of different colors, carefully painted across the canvas of the sky. You silently curse yourself for no watching more sunsets.

You breathe in Thomas, trying to remember him— like you can bring a piece of him to wherever you're going. But your mind is getting foggier by the second. "Kiss me."

Thomas leans his head down and kisses you like he's never kissed you before. He tries to memorize your lips on his. He tries to recall braiding your hair in the small forest as the sun sets over the tree tops.

You kiss back, your hand on his jaw falling limply to the side. There's no more strength left in you. You've been too strong for far too long. "I love you, Tommy," you whisper, mouth falling slack.

"I love you too," he replies, but your head already lulls to the side. It was so hauntingly beautiful to see even the strongest succumb to humanity in the end.

The sun will die eventually. Thomas's just died before everyone else's.

"Thomas! We have to go!" Newt yells, fighting three guys.

Thomas wipes his tears. His legs are shaking and breathing is so hard, but he stands up. He takes your dog tags off of your neck and puts it on his.

Your name engraved in the metal would be the last thing he had of you.

His face hardens, and he picks up his gun, aiming it at the closest enemy.

The world will keep going while you lay there in enemy territory, the sunset still reflecting in your irises.