01: Freak

I am no stranger to parties. I willingly go to many to socialize. My status oftentimes doesn't allow me the privilege to make meaningful connections aside from the people I work with. Being the Beta of a royal pack came with its disadvantages and advantages. Sometimes I used my status as an excuse to get out of some social situations but in general, I enjoyed it.

"Do you really want to do this, Violet?" Astrid asked leaning forward.

A smile formed on my face. I love how caring my best friend is. Our friendship is an unlikely one; at least to the people around us, especially, considering the outcome of the war that took place two hundred years ago.

"What's the worse that can happen?" I grinned prompting Astrid to roll her eyes.

"Hmm, let's see. Last time you had angel dust you got into a deal with an incubus that lasted a whole century."

"We are still in the deal," I corrected her while throwing the dart at the board. We were in a relatively isolated corner of the busy room. I had my suspicion that my best friend was using her powers to keep people away from us and our conversations.

Astrid put her hand into her enchanted handbag that worked as a portal to her lab. "Isn't he unavailable tonight?"

The incubus in question wasn't exactly unavailable tonight. He was simply trying to ignore me for as long as he could. Recently there have been complications and a lot would be in jeopardy if either of us made the wrong decision.

"Are you two talking about me behind my back?" Kay asked, placing two beer bottles in front of us.

"No, we were talking about your brother's availability," Astrid informed Kay while taking one of the bottles from the table using her free hand.

Kay made eye contact and sat down next to me. He was curious and that is a dangerous thing. I didn't know how much he was aware of my situation with his brother. And I wasn't willing to talk about it right now either.

"I am intrigued," he announced.

"I don't doubt that but that's not the topic of discussion right now. We are deciding whether we should take angel dust or not." Secretly I prayed that Kay would take the bait and forget the other subject.

He started laughing, "yes, please. It is so entertaining to see everyone react to your charm when you are under the influence."

Angel dust is a very unique concoction and it had nothing to do with angels, quite the opposite. Every being reacted to it differently. For werewolves, it was a stimulant. Witches find it to be a hallucinogen but for demons, however, it worked as a depressant. I haven't really seen any other being take it in front of me so I didn't know how they would react to it. All I knew was that the three of us will each have different effects from it. It's very uncommon to come across angel dust and even rarer for it to be authentic.

I have only taken it twice in my lifetime and each time it was a whole journey. My already heightened senses get stimulated. I do, however, have a unique side effect to the angel dust which doesn't affect me but the people around me. It's much like a charm a witch would cast to attract people to them. Except I am a werewolf. The most logical conclusion we could come up with was that my pheromones become too strong and that affected the people around me.

For research purposes, Astrid once cast the attraction charm while I was showing the side effect. Her basic charm had quickly changed people's attention to herself which made her come to the conclusion that my side effect just mimicked a witches' spell.

"That settles it, give me the dust." I casually presented my open hand to Astrid.

"I still think it would be better if Aiden was available today." She voiced her concern while handing me the item I asked for. Astrid had already taken her portion of it, earlier.