13

We were looking through my house for anything that could help us or that could possibly lead to my parents. I almost didn't dare go to my room because I would want to stay there forever. Peyton suggested she should come with me. The others stayed downstairs. I had asked them not to touch too much stuff. Just like it had hurt me in Alex's house it hurt here as well when something wasn't standing in the position it had been left by my family.
Peyton followed me through the big hall to my room at the back of the house. I let out a big breath before opening the door to my room. Of course Peyton was very curious and probably found this a bit exciting, but I wanted to leave my house as fast as I could. I loved my home, but right now it was just a reminder of pain and what I didn't have. I went straight to my huge closet while Peyton started going through the stuff on my desk and on my nightstands. My closet was as good as empty. I wondered if my parents had taken it all or if maybe someone else had broken in. It's not like we hadn't done that before, but it did hurt to think that someone else might be wearing my clothes.

"Are these your friends?" Peyton asked from where she was looking at pictures. I was so focused on finding the things we needed that I didn't really pay attention to her.

"Yes." I didn't even look at what she was holding.

"Oh, this is cute and this too. Fallon, your room is so adorable. I didn't know what to expect, but I did expect it to be a bit edgier." Peyton traced her finger along every wall.

"Peyton, please. I'm not in the mood for this." I left my closet doors open and went to a drawer where I would find a notebook and pens. I just took whatever looked a tiny bit useful. It was quiet for a while and suddenly I realized what Peyton had said.

"Why would you expect my room to be edgier? I'm the most organized and simple person from all of you." I looked at her while I went with my hands through my nightstand drawer. I wasn't really looking for anything. Then I felt my hand touch a necklace that I hadn't worn in a month. I pulled it out of my drawer and let the small, golden moon dangle in front of my face. I had to take this. Alex had gotten it for me right before we had started dating. I put it in the pocket of my shorts and looked at Peyton to tell her I was ready to go.

"I think there is a lot more to you than you tell us." Peyton pushed herself off of the wall and walked by my side while we made our way downstairs. When we entered the living space I noticed that Kai was missing. I looked around the open space to see if maybe he was sitting somewhere else. Becca noticed that I was looking for something and she released me from my worry.

"He's on the toilet." She smiled and I let the worry go completely.

Hardin stared at the objects and a few clothing items in my hands.

"I got what I needed. I want to go now." I let Peyton help me to put the stuff away. Before putting that heavy backpack on, I took the necklace out of my pocket and put it around my neck. I adjusted the little moon and I felt Hardin staring at it.

"It's cute." He said when he saw the confused look on my face. I smiled as a thank you and then got ready to leave this house once Kai was back.

****

We were walking through the woods again and it was a tricky path. There were streams and a lot of fallen trees. We had to climb over things quite often and it was exhausting. My physical condition had become a lot better from all that walking, but still it was so exhausting every time.
We stumbled across another stream, but this one was a bit wider than the others. Hardin took a big jump and merely made it to the other side. He held out his hand so I could steady myself when I had jumped over. I put my hand in his big palm and tightened my grip to make sure I wouldn't slip out of his hand. I leaped over the water and my feet hit the ground just where the water stopped. I lost balance and started to fall backwards when Hardin swiftly put his hand on my backpack to push me forward again. I looked at our hands and I saw that my knuckles were white because I was squeezing so hard. I was probably hurting him, but if I did he didn't let it show. I let go when I felt steady again and stepped away from the water, so the others could jump over as well. Kai refused to take Hardin's help. Probably because he wanted to show off for Becca. I turned towards the path ahead while I waited for Peyton to join me. I liked walking together because she made me laugh through the pain. Peyton was probably one of the funniest people I had ever known. Suddenly I felt cold drops on my arms and legs. I turned around with as much speed as I could to catch the person who had splattered water on me.
"You asshole!" I yelled at Hardin, there was no trace of anger. I walked over to the water with big steps. I made a cup with my hands and filled it with water to throw at Hardin. The water made see through circles on his white shirt. Maybe I shouldn't have done that because now I had to watch his skin get visible underneath the fabric.
"HEY! Who said that I did it?!" He laughed which made it obvious it was him who did it.
"I'm not stupid." I said back while I walked past him. I tried to keep my eyes on the road.
Kai just laughed while watching with Becca at his side. They had become way closer over the past few weeks. I had the feeling that Becca had come with us for one more reason than just to help us.
"Stop being such babies." Peyton slammed her hip against mine and I got thrown to the side a bit. I let out a loud laugh and stuck my tongue out at her.
"Yes mom." I nudged her in her ribs and she punched my arm playfully. We laughed and walked through the branches as the rest followed.
"Who was your best friend before me?" Peyton asked me all of the sudden. I liked that she considered me her best friend.
"I didn't really have a really close friend except Alex. Don't get me wrong I had friends. We just hadn't really gone through anything to make us super close like we are." I gave her a little smile. "Thanks." She smiled back and then continued. "We had Rory. You know a bit about Rory already, but there was so much to her, my god. I have told you that she was reckless and that she did stupid shit and that Hardin always did everything for her. I think she would have liked you, although she wouldn't have liked the way you and Hardin look at each other sometimes." She had this look on her face like she had said more than she was supposed to. I didn't really understand what she meant. I didn't look any different at Hardin than I looked at Kai or Nick or any other guy I knew.