23. Alone in the rain

Namjoon gets up slowly, feeling absolutely heartbroken. He hadn't expected jungkook to just leave him alone in the rain. But again, he hadn't expected to be kissed, either.

He slowly gets up, wiping the tears forming in the corner of his orbs, he refuses to let them shed. He goes straight to the garage on shaky legs and pulls out a pair of shoes, wearing them with some difficulty because his hands keep trembling.

He quickly makes his way to his personal car, not minding the fact that he is getting his seat all soaked. He is hurt and all he wants is to get to his parents' home and cry his heart out in his dad's arms.

Turning on the ignition, namjoon starts his drive to the second person that comes to his mind whenever he's feeling down. The first is of course Yoongi. His nephew, however small he may be, never fails to make him feel better.

Namjoon would've actually gone to his brother's place but they were out for a small picnic in the park to make up for the time they left yoongi with namjoon and jungkook.

Namjoon feels tears forming in his eyes but he tries his best to keep them in. He's driving, he can't fucking afford not being able to see clearly right now.

The rain isn't relenting. It keeps pouring even when namjoon pulls up in front of his childhood home. That makes namjoon feel oddly at ease. He thinks maybe the rain really is crying with him.

Without giving a fuck about his whole body soaked in water, namjoon punches in the code and enters the house. He goes straight to his dad's room but he opens the door, he's met with an empty bed and a just as empty office chair.

He bites his lip, then, looks up at the clock on the wall. A small, defeated chuckle leaves his mouth. Of course his dad must be in the office at this time of the day. Of course.

Sighing, he closes the door and turns around. A surprised yelp makes way past his lips and he clutches a hand on his chest at the sudden scare.

"What? You're acting like you just so a ghost", his mother, the reason of his yelp, says. She looks unimpressed, as always. And the fact that she's not even looking at him makes it all the more awkward.

"I just got surprised", namjoon replies, sighing. "Of course, you did, namjoon", she scoffs, amused. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be giving an interview?", she says, casually sorting through the bookshelf on the wall beside Sejin's door.

"I-I wanted to meet dad", he stutters, hesitating. He's not sure how she's going to react to that because she knows that namjoon could've easily met him in the company building.

Jihun finally turns to her side to properly look him over. Namjoon wants to curl in on himself because he's sure he looks like shit. Out of all the people, he doesn't want his mom to see him like this. It bothers him more than it should.

Her eyes widen comically when he finally takes in his appearance. He's all wet and his eyes are rimmed red with the remnants of some tears staining his naturally blushy cheeks.

"Were you crying?", she asks, brows etched with worry. "N-No", namjoon hesitates to say the truth. "Joon, stop lying", she warns, stern but there's a softness to her worried eyes that namjoon can point out. The nickname makes his heart warm.

"Yeah", he finally accepts, sighing loudly, feeling like a bratty kid. "Why?", she asks, not wasting a second. Namjoon had always admired this behavior of hers. She never wastes a second to talk things out.

Namjoon is just about to blurt out a believable lie when she interrupts him. "Not like this. Go to your room and change into something comfortable. I don't want you to catch a cold. Is that clear?", she says, raising a brow for emphasis.

Namjoon chuckles at her antics and nods. She nods back curtly and goes back to her room. Namjoon doesn't have to be told by someone to know that she wants to meet him in her room, the one she doesn't share with his dad.

At first namjoon found it pretty odd that even when his parents had a shared bedroom, they had their own rooms as well. Later, he understood that privacy was a very important thing in every relationship. You don't always feel like sharing a room together and that's completely okay.

He makes a beeline towards his old room and changes into a large hoodie and grey sweatpants. A small sigh leaves his lips and he lands face down on his bed, which is surprisingly well made.

Taking a warm shower actually helped relaxing his muscles and his mind. He's feeling lighter than he has felt in days. The familiar scent of his room making him feel at ease.

He almost forgets that he has to go meet his mom. Almost. Jerking up from his bed, he wears his blue home slippers and goes to Jihun's room.

"Took you long enough" is the first thing Jihun says when he enters her room, closing the door behind him. Namjoon smiles sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Sorry, almost forgot we had to talk", he explains, no lies. She just hums, tsking when she sees Namjoon's dripping hair.

Sighing heavily, she takes a towel from the nearby rack and gestures namjoon to sit on the bed. "You're so careless", she huffs, annoyed. Slowly keeping the towel on top of Namjoon's head, she begins to wipe his hair gently.

Namjoon sighs at that, tense shoulders relaxing under the slow dabbing of his mom's towel on his hair. "Feels good?", she asks, softer than before.

"Hmm", namjoon hums, inhaling deeply. It feels nice to have his mom this close to him, showering him with unspoken affection. She might act like she doesn't care about her children but deep down, namjoon knows she does.

When he had first come into their family, Jihun had been particularly aloof about him. But she had been the first one to tend to his nightmares when they became too much.

Namjoon smiles a bit at the memory. Those were good time. He didn't have to worry about anything. He shakes his head internally and focuses on the warmth radiating through his mom's gentle hands instead.

She finally stops when she reckons namjoon's hair is dry and he's relaxed enough to have a nice, stress free talk with her.

"So, you gonna tell me what has you feeling all down and insecure?"