Buried Memories

Beam POV

We started to walk back in silence to our dorm. It will probably take us around twenty minutes since our dorm was located at the far side of the campus. We reached a park where he stopped walking and gazed around.

"Why did you stop?" I asked.

"Let's rest here for a while."

"So you also get tired too huh?" I teased.

He just looked at me then chuckled softly. I guess I really hit him in his Achilles’ heel. We freely sat in the grasses, not minding whether there was a sign forbidding people from stepping on them.

I noticed the tall trees surrounding the park. I can't help but remember Orty. We hangout in a place like this in the province. I stared at the distance and slowly, my mind was transported to the past.

Flashback

"Eamy! Let's climb up that tree!" Orty pointed at the tree across the road.

"Don't wanna. I can't climb that tree. It's too high for me."

"Come on! I'll leave you here, you'll see."

Orty quickly climbed up the tree even with the strong wind and his long hair covering his face. His tiny frame did not became a hindrance to his agility. I also noticed that his skin is almost the same as the tree bark with him blending with it. It made chuckle.

"Come on Eamy! Are you gonna climb or are you gonna climb?" He hollered at the top of top with all smiles.

I'm not used to climbing trees but I was forced to. We talked and laughed about silly stories until sunset. We finally climbed down from the tree when we heard my parents looking for me. We went our separate ways temporarily and went home.

"Oh Beam, start packing your bags. We'll be going home soon since school break is almost up. Your granny is also tired of doting you. Haha!" Mom mentioned to me.

I felt a pain in my heart after hearing the news. I wanted to stay here longer. I want to still wake up with the delicious smell of grandma's cooking in the morning and more importantly, I want to stay more because of Orty.

But it seems we really need to get home. There were a lot of things to do since I will be transferring to a new school. You see I'm an incoming high school freshie. I need to set aside my selfish requests.

The following day, I heard Orty screaming my name outside my grandma's residence. "Eammmy!!! Eammmyyy!!! Come on get out!"

I almost tripped in my haste to get out but my mom advised me to get back before dark so we can rest well since we will be leaving early tomorrow. But nevertheless, Orty and I played as if it was a normal day and rested under the shades of trees when we got tired.

"Eamy! Let's bathe in the pond behind P'Kong's house tomorrow!" Orty invited me with a smug look.

"We're going to leave tomorrow."

"Okay, the next day then."

“No, Orty. We're going home to our house in the capital by tomorrow."

Orty became silent. Obviously taken aback by what I said.

“When will you come back?" He asked with his voice slightly trembling.

"I don't know."

"Tsk! You're my only playmate here then you're going to leave me. I'm going to be alone again." He replied while trying to stop his tears from falling.

"That's how life goes, Orty. There are only two reasons why people come into our lives: to stay with you or to leave with you memories."

"Which one are you, Eamy?"