Metamorphosis

Beam POV

I stirred awake when early morning sunlight hit my eyes. I yawned, stretched my arms, then rubbed my eyes. It was a blissful night with...

My eyes opened in full capacity when I remembered what transpired the night before. I turned to my side but Orty was not beside me.

My heart pounded in fear. Was everything that had happened yesterday just a dream? I couldn't see his bags that were in disarray. I jumped out of bed and search the room but he was nowhere to be found. The food that I ordered last night was gone too.

I sat on the bed while hugging my knees. Maybe it was a dream after all. Tears started rolling down my cheeks. I reached for my wallet and saw the old photo of Forth under the shade of a familiar tree.

"Sorry, Orty." I whispered to myself.

I was half crying and half smiling. Everything seemed real. Maybe Orty had forgotten about me by now. I was staring into the void for minutes before I noticed someone standing by the door.

Tall, handsome, and a delicious chocolate colored skin.

"Awww, Eamy. I was gone for a short time and yet your cried so--AHHH!"

"ORTY!!!" I jumped on him then roughly captured his lips. I couldn't stop myself from crying on his chest.

"There. There." He tried comforting me by brushing my hair, as if I was a child.

"Look who's babbling now? Last night, you wanted me to leave. And now-- AHHH!" I pinched him on his side.

I felt relieved. I don't deserve this but still, thanks fate for making our paths cross again.

"Wanna grab some coffee?" He said softly while embracing me.

I nodded in response.

"Let's go?"

"Don't you think you and I still need to shower?"

"Together?" He clarified.

"Nope. I'll go first."

"Suit yourself. When you're done I'm probably go--" I glared at him. "Kidding hahaha"

After we're finished preparing, we walked together outside of the campus. The silent environment will soon turn lively as term starts.

"What if you stayed and we became classmates back then? We probably caused so much trouble." He casually said.

"Correction. YOU'LL cause so much trouble." I corrected him and we both laughed.

We were talking as if nothing happened. Sooner or later, we have to put our missing pieces back together and tie any loose ends. I can feel that we're just both waiting for the right timing.

The café was already in sight after few minutes of walking. It looked empty on the outside. It seems that we weren't the only ones who are about to start their day.

The door chimed as we enter the shop and we were greeted with all smiles by the lively crew. Forth returned the favor by giving them his bright smile. I still can't believe that this smile went through so much but somehow, it managed to stay.

Because there were only a few customers, we went to the counter first. I scanned the glass case filled with freshly-baked bread and pastries while Orty was behind me.

"What do you want?" I asked Forth while still checking out the selection of breads.

"You..." he whispered to my ear.

I elbowed him in his solar plexus. He bit his lip to prevent himself from screaming. He doesn't want to be too bothersome so early in the morning, with some customers evidently just woke up too.