Chapter Thirteen: Desperate Measures

Yumi wakes up to someone knocking at her door. She slowly gets up, wrapping her duvet around herself before heading towards the door. When she looks out her peephole, she sees Oscar and Pierre outside her place. She cracks open the door, confused.

"What's going on?" she asks.

"Can we come in?" Oscar asks. "Or are you naked?"

Yumi steps back, pulling the door more open. Both boys come in but don't come beyond the entryway. After another two minutes, Carter opens the door and comes in as well. Yumi rubs her eyes, leaning into Oscar.

"So Jade wasn't home, nor was she at Hensley's?" Carter confirms.

Yumi nods, closing her eyes.

"What is it, twenty four hours before we can report her missing?"

"Let's hope it doesn't get that far. Did you go into her place at all or just take her not answering as not being home?" Oscar asks.

"I went in. I didn't check everywhere but the major places where she should have been, she wasn't."

"And what do you mean you know who victim four was?" Pierre asks.

Yumi sighs and rubs her eyes, standing up straight.

"So I knocked on Hensley's door last night after snooping at Jade's," she admits. "When she opened the door, it was clear she had been crying. She had these dark ass bruises around her wrists. We were saying that shit gets worse by the night. Now I only saw the marks on wrists but I'm willing to bet that she was way more hurt than she let on."

"So you think that she's the fourth victim?" Oscar asks.

Yumi nods, covering her mouth. Oscar sighs and rubs his eyes.

"That does not bode well for Jade and me. You would think that Apartment Thirteen would want to hurt its resident the worst, so this is going to suck," he mutters.

"That doesn't make any sense," Carter argues. "If it needs her, why would it hurt her?"

"Because it needs a host. Break her down and then she's at its wi-"

"Oscar, come on. That's not how this works," Pierre interrupts. "None of us who've had Apartment Thirteen get in our heads want it anywhere near us again. What is the benefit of it trying to scare its resident out of it?"

"So what are you saying? Do you think Hensley faked an attack? I don't think she even knows about the three of you getting attacked."

"Unless Jade told her something," Carter points out.

Everyone stops, no one knowing what to say. They never thought that Jade could possibly have been talking to Hensley about the torture they've been through. When they were telling her, was she funnelling every bit of information back into Hensley's ear, back to Apartment Thirteen? After a minute, Carter is the first to speak up.

"Well if we want to know if she's feeding Hensley information, we need to find Jade. Let's go to her place and find her so we can sit down and sort through this horse shit," she declares.

"Yeah. Carter's right," Oscar sighs. "Let's go. We need Jade so we can go forward with this."

They get up, immediately heading for Jade's place. Oscar unlocks the apartment and they all head inside. Yumi lingers in the doorway, looking back at Apartment Thirteen.

"I'll just be a second," she calls out.

She steps back into the hall and knocks on Hensley's door. There's some shuffling in the apartment but she doesn't open the door. Yumi knocks again. After a few seconds, the door opens. Hensley steps into view, hands behind her back, blocking the doorway.