The Wedding: II

The year of 2007 was the same as the last. Jeongguk and Namjoon were still best friends and never forgot to include Taehyung in whatever they did. Although now, the two thirteen year olds -especially Jeongguk- loved to have Taehyung do their bidding. But the little boy never once complained, always happy to have a role in the circle, and went along with whatever he was told to do.

          One particular hot summer day, the boys were in Jeongguk's room, enthusiastically playing video games. That is, until the ruler of the space grew bored. 

          "I've got a marvelous idea." Jeongguk drew the word out for dramatic effect.

          Taehyung looked at his brother quietly from his place on the bed, as it wasn't his turn to use a controller yet.

          "And what's that?" Namjoon asked.

          "Your little sister was a bride for Halloween last year, right?"

          "Yeah, I guess. What about it?"

          "We should play wedding! I know it might be a little kid thing, but there's nothing better to do. You could go get your sister's costume and bring your family over."

          "Alright," Namjoon gave in, "but who's getting married?"

          "Easy. You and Taehyung."

          Taehyung blinked unknowingly and watched as Namjoon's fingers stopped moving on his PlayStation controller. The older boy looked over at Jeongguk with his lips pressed in a firm line, but being a six year old, Taehyung couldn't tell if he was mad or not.

          Later that day, Jeongguk and Taehyung's parents and Namjoon's family were all sat in the  living room, waiting for the great performance Jeongguk had promised them.

          Namjoon was stood in front of everyone in a white button-up and black jeans as he waited to get the whole thing over with. He didn't find what his friend was doing, funny and he couldn't help but frown.

          Meanwhile, Taehyung was in the bathroom with Jeongguk, getting ready in a little white bridal dress and veil. He had his shorts on under it, but Jeongguk made him take off his T-shirt to make it look more "realistic", or so he said.

          "You don't want people to see your grungy shirt, do you? Not on your wedding day." On the inside, he was laughing.

          Taehyung checked the floor length mirror again. He wasn't sure about everyone else, but he did want to look his best for Namjoon. "This shoulder strap keeps slipping," he whined.

          Jeongguk put it back in its place. "It's fine, now come on." He handed Taehyung a single yellow flower that he had pulled from the ground outside, next to the porch. "Time to get married."

 ~

          "Go!" Jeongguk whisper shouted after he'd started to play wedding tunes from his ipod and speaker, beginning the pretend ceremony. 

         When Taehyung slowly emerged from the hallway in his small costume, many "aww"s and "cute"s could be heard from the parents. Namjoon however, was standing still and was finally able to smile brightly upon seeing Taehyung. He might not have liked Jeongguk just then, but the little boy gorgeously approaching him had done nothing wrong.

          "Hi," Taehyung said sheepishly when he joined Namjoon at Jeongguk's makeshift altar made of bedsheets.

          "Hi." Namjoon replied, grinning and reached down to fix the loose strap that had fallen off of Taehyung's shoulder again.