12. The One With the Bullying

Mara played with her hands as she sat in her original seat. The rest of the students were sitting as well. None of them were talking. Mara was worried about Bender. She understood that what he did was so they could all make it back to the library, without getting caught.

She placed a finger against her lips, and she could swear that Bender's warm ones still lingered in hers. She didn't expect for him to kiss her at all, but that single action made her realized that whatever she felt was mutual.

As she sat thinking about the current events, Vernon's voice was heard. She looked towards the entrance of the room, and observed how Bender walked inside followed by the arrogant principal of Shermer High School.

"Get your stuff! Let's go!" Vernon yelled at John, who approached his table to grab his jacket.

"Mr. Wiseguy here has taken it upon himself to go to the gymnasium. I'm sorry to inform you, you're going to be without his services for the rest of the day," Vernon explained, looking at the rest of the children.

"Boohoo," Bender whispered loud enough for everyone to hear. Mara looked at him and shook his head. He was already in deep trouble, making it worst wasn't wise.

"Everything's a big joke, huh Bender? The false alarm you pulled, Friday, false alarms are really funny, aren't they? What if your home, what if your family," the principal stated before he took a small pause. He then continued, "What if your dope was on fire?"

"Impossible, Sir, it's in Johnson's underwear," Bender replied, smirking, making both the wrestler and Mara laugh.

"You think he's funny? You think this is cute? You think he's bitchin', is that it? Let me tell you something. Look at him, he's a bum," the principal stated, pointing at the male rebel in the room.

"You are way out of line, Sir!" Mara objected with venom in her voice.

"Am I?" Vernon responded. Mara looked at John and he shook his head, making her stay quiet. It was obvious he didn't want her to be in the same situation as him.

She ignored him and folded her arms together in front of her chest.

"Yes, you are!" she said, looking at the principal, who didn't have an ounce of intimidation in his expression.

"You want to see something funny? You go visit John Bender in five years! You'll see how God damned funny he is!" he roared, making Mara cringe in disbelief.

She hated how Vernon bullied everyone in school. His words were trash and were always meant for harm, which he succeeded in doing every time he spoke. Looking at Bender's reaction, she felt her heart raced in an abnormal rhythm. She was both pissed and sad. When she was about to say something, Vernon interrupted her, "What's the matter, John? Are you going to cry?"

"Let's go!" he added demanding Bender to move it along. The bully held the rebel's shoulder, making him yell, "Hey keep your fuckin' hands off me! I expect better manners from you, Dick!"

John walked closer to Andy's table and grabbed his sunglasses. He placed it in front of the wrestler and said, "For better hallway vision." Leaving, Bender knocked everything on his way, showing how pissed off he was.

"This is your fucking fault!" Mara yelled at the wrestler.

"She's right. He wouldn't be in trouble if it wasn't for you," Claire agreed.

"Get off my case, will you? He'll be fine. He's used to this place by now," the wrestler said in defense. Mara shook his head and stood from the table. She walked over to the sofa that was located near the statue. As she sat, she thought about everything that happened in less than 12 hours.

It was definitely a day she wasn't going to forget. After a while, she screamed her lungs out as she heard something heavy fall from the ceiling. Looking at the area, she noticed that Bender stood from the floor.

With her eyes wide open, she saw the rebel walk closer to her.

"This isn't good," she whispered before she heard the angry voice of the principal.