CHAPTER 4: WE'RE WITH THE BAND

Wednesday, May 20

"You still have tonight off, right?" Merritt shouts at me from the living room.

I'm only taking one class during summer semester because I need the class and it was the only semester it was offered. Other than that, I am picking up as many shifts as I can to save up for this upcoming year. My senior year.

"Yes, I still have tonight off," I shout back without pulling my head too far out of my "Psychology In The Workplace" textbook.

I know why she's double checking. Her cousin, James, is in a band and they're playing at our 2nd favorite bar, Petra's Drinkery, tonight. Their whole band is actually from Mobile. They play more shows here during the fall and spring semester when the whole student crowd is back on campus and we always have a good time when they're in town.

I also have a bit of an unrequited crush on their bass player, Rory, and have since the first time I met him. For that reason, I always put in a bit of extra effort in the appearance department, which usually just means powder, pinched cheeks, mascara and lipstick.

"So," Merritt says appearing in my doorway.

"So," I return, completely unsure of what she's about to say.

"I know I'm not the best judge since I'm not straight, but is our new boss, like, the hottest thing you've ever seen or what?"

It takes me a moment to realize what she's just said and who she's said it about. I open my mouth to speak but the only thing that comes out is a semi-uncomfortable laugh.

"What? You haven't noticed?" she says accusingly, making her way into my room and plopping down in front of me on my bed.

"No, I haven't," I lie, knowing full well that she's not going to buy it.

She cocks her head to the side with a disbelieving stare.

"I mean, his face is so beautiful, but then his body is just---"

"I know," I groan and fall back onto my pillow dramatically. His face comes so quickly to the forefront of my mind. I've only seen him a handful of times over the last few days at work. I avoid him like the plague and yet still, I swear I could draw him perfectly from memory.

"You should go for it," she says catching me off guard with her ludicrous suggestion.

"Date our new boss?" I say, incredulously. "He's not even likable."

"Date," she starts, "or maybe just jump his bones a few times."

I sit back up and swat at her playfully.

"What? Pretty soon you're gonna have to get in line. A guy like that movin' to Sturvis? I can only imagine what all the unwed female folk in this town are going to do."

Her delivery is ultra-Southern and it makes me laugh. She's from a small town just outside of Montgomery, and she and her brother both have accents that I consider thicker than my own, which is sayin' somethin'.

Then a thought strikes me. Merritt might have been joking around, but what she said isn't entirely untrue. Played for East Alabama State? Drafted by a Major League Baseball team? Owner of several businesses? Not to mention, he is unfairly attractive? I can't imagine the lengths some women are going to go to in order to win his affections and I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't make me the tiniest bit jealous.

I shake the ridiculous thoughts of jealousy away because Warrick Travers is my boss, and I have little to no business feeling jealous about whatever women are going to go after him. Besides, he took me off my usual Saturday night shift the other night and I'm still disgruntled from that particular episode.