CHAPTER 27: AN INTERRUPTION

Friday, July 3

The Friday night shift is relentless. I do take pleasure in the fact that I've made more money in tips tonight than I've ever made, as far as I can remember. I attribute it to the fact that it's July 4th weekend and people are celebrating.

I'm standing at the bar entering the food order for three of my tables.

"Milly," Winter says with the phone in her hand. "Got a call for you."

A call? Why didn't they just call my cell phone? Who would be calling The Camellia Tavern to speak to me?

I take the phone from her curiously. "Hello, this is Milly."

"Milly, this is Petra from Petra's Drinkery."

"Um, hi."

"We have a friend of yours here. I think someone needs to come get her."

A friend of mine?

"Who is it?"

"She says her name is Corrine."

Oh my God! My mother! I sigh audibly and look up towards the ceiling. I can't believe this is happening. I mean, I guess I can believe it, given that she is involved, but still....

"I'll be there soon," I promise Petra. I could call Gramps to pick her up but that's something I'd like to avoid.

I see Merritt talking to another one of the servers and I rush over to her.

"Can I borrow you for a sec?"

"Yeah," she says as her smiling face morphs into one of concern.

"Can you take my tables? I have to go get Corrine. She's had too much to drink and she's at Petra's."

"Oh, Mil. I'm sorry," she says, "Sure, I can take your tables."

"Thanks."

Next, I look around the restaurant for Dylan and I end up finding him in the kitchen.

"Dylan, I need to leave. It's important. Family matter," I say to him.

"Milly, it's July 4th weekend. It's Friday night," he says as if what I'm asking is preposterous, and I know what he means.

"I know. And believe me, if this could be helped, I wouldn't be asking."

He sighs and shakes his head. "Take it up with Warrick," he points towards the back office.

Great. Now I get to tell Warrick that I have to go pick up my irresponsibly drunk mother at a bar.

I knock on the office door, but he answers by opening it.

"Milly," he says with a surprised look on his face. "What's wrong?"

"I need to leave, Warrick. I have to go see to my mother."

"Your mother?"

"Yeah, she's in town for the weekend and, apparently, she's too drunk and I need to go get her at Petra's. I don't want Gramps to do it."

He nods as he considers this. "I'll go with you."

What?!

"No," I say too quickly because I'd be mortified if he witnessed me trying to deal with a hammered Corrine.

"Yes, Milly. I'm coming with you. Dylan can handle it here while I'm gone." He grabs his keys off of the desk and locks the door behind us.

We take his car over to Petra's and I practically leap out of the car once we arrive.