CHAPTER 26: DOUBT

Wednesday, July 1

"So she's just going to swing into town casually?" Jacinda says as she sits down on the lawn chair in our backyard.

"Yep," I say, taking a sip of the white wine she's brought home.

"And you're gonna just act like this is totally normal," she says disapprovingly.

"I'm gonna do what I always do when she stops into town randomly. I'm going to be polite for the sake of Gramps for a few hours."

Jacinda shakes her head. It's basically the same discussion we've had each time Corrine has come into town over the last few years, which is not very often.

"I don't know if I could manage it," Merritt chimes in. "You've got more patience than I do, Mil."

"I do it for Gramps," I reiterate. In reality, I'd love to tell Corrine exactly what I think of her leaving me behind when I was only five-years-old, dumping that burden in her father's lap and going about her life as if she'd done nothing wrong. And maybe one day, I will. But as long as Gramps is alive, I can't.

"I'm just glad we got to see you today," Merritt changes the subject.

"What do you mean?"

"What does she mean? You're with Warrick all the time lately," Jacinda laughs as if it should be obvious. I can admit that we've been a bit inseparable over the last few days when we're not at work, but I can't complain. In fact, I'm basically in a state of bliss.

He's funny and smart and driven and generous. Not to mention, he is a total smoke show.

His sister, Rowan, is coming to Sturvis for a visit next week and I vow to make my very best impression--especially since I didn't do so well when I met his cousin, Addie.

"I'm probably gonna meet his sister next week," I say wearing a smile.

"Oh, really?" Jacinda says as if I've unveiled some big secret.

"Meeting the fam already, Mil. That's big!" Merritt says then holds out her wine glass for me to toast.

"It's not that big of a deal. She's comin' into town to visit him. I just might meet her as a result," I play it off even though, to me, it really is a big deal and I've already picked out what I'm planning to wear if and when I make her acquaintance.

"Who needs a refill?" Jacinda asks as she stands up to head back inside.

"Not me, I'm good," I say, inspecting my half-full wine glass.

"I could use another, dear," Merritt says sweetly and Jacinda leans down and kisses her on the top of her head.

"You two are ridiculously cute," I say, to which Jacinda just rolls her eyes.

"I agree with you there," Merritt says in contrast.

She and I usually have Wednesday nights off, but it's rare for all three of us to be off. I'm glad to have some girl time with them, but I also miss Warrick. It's ridiculous, I know, because I just saw him yesterday.

"Who's hungry?" Jacinda says, returning with the wine bottle.

Both Merritt and I raise our hands.

"Ok, don't laugh at me, but I'm sort of craving the fried green tomatoes from The Tavern."

Merritt chuckles. "Jac, we work there almost everyday. How can you possibly want to eat dinner there tonight?"

"Yeah, and you're the one making the food most of the time, so why would you want to eat there for, like, the thousandth time?"

"That's exactly my point," she says. "I want to enjoy the food that someone else makes for once."