chapter fourteen. timothée.

No, she wasn't okay. I could see it in the way her eyes were glazed over, the way she held her breath so she wouldn't cry the moment I asked if everything was alright. I knew Adele was a strong girl, she could fight for herself. But there was something inside of me that wanted to fight everything for her.

"Do you need a place to stay for a little?" I motioned to my bedroom. I had no problem sharing my space with her, or sleeping on the couch for God knows how long. I didn't care. All those years of investing in good furniture paid off well. "Yeah. I do. I have to go and pick up my things from the old apartment. I can't wear these clothes forever." I smiled, "Yeah."

For the past few hours my phone had been vibrating like crazy. I had already made it a point to mute my twitter notifications, but I had text messages and missed calls. The way this all played out wasn't in a fairly happy way either. Adele's "deer in headlights" look was plastered everywhere. Jeez.

To top it all off, I had a close friend coming to visit. He and I had known each other since basically the beginning of time as him and I know it at least. He was among the hundreds of people blowing my phone up. Other than Saorise who clearly knew what was going on. I decided to text him.

Me
Hey. Still coming this week?
I've stirred the pot a little here in NYC.

Carter
Of course, we'll be on our
asses getting drunk and being too
busy to pay attention to the outside world.
I needed best friend time.

Me
So... We might have a plus one.

Carter
Ah the girl? She's already living
with you?

Me
Her name is Adele, and it's
complicated. I'll explain when you get
here.

Carter
As long as you're sharing. ;)

Me
Watch it.

Adele was sat at the edge of the bed, rubbing her temples. Thinking. I wanted to know what was going on, and maybe it kind of was my business to know. She was staying here with me, though I didn't mind it, I wanted to know what she was in the middle of.

I walked over to her on the edge of the bed, and sat next to her. I wanted to twirl one of her curls around my finger, or rub her back for comfort. Maybe even kiss her. "Will you tell me what's going on? On your own terms. I know about what you told me. With your dad. But the phone call? What was that?"
"What if I told you that my mom has basically just eloped. She's not coming back. I don't know how I can go to school after this... Everything is a mess."
"Don't worry. We can figure it out together. I know you hate me right now but I'll do my best to help. I need to tell you something, though."

Adele shifted on the bed uncomfortably, as if she couldn't handle anymore surprises. I didn't blame her, but I wasn't sure if this news would be that bad. "Before I met you I had a friend that was supposed to be coming to visit. His name is Carter. He's still coming this week he's already booked a non-refundable flight. Will you be okay with that?" She huffed a sigh of relief, and nodded.

*

The sun was setting beautifully, and there was beautiful noise coming from Adele as she put away all of her clothes and belongings. She informed me that her father wasn't at the apartment when she went to pick her things up, that made things easier. Usually, I'd be here alone, drinking wine or watching TV. Probably even playing Candy Crush; but to have her here made everything that much better.

"Do you want a drink?" I called out to her, hearing her soft curses and grunts. She didn't want my help, obviously. "Yes!" I broke out my handy-dandy cocktail shaker and decided to go all out. I made her a nice drink, and walked over to her serving it. "For you, milady."
She rolled her eyes, which was followed with a thank you and she took a few sips. "I feel like, honestly speaking, like you should tell me what your dream was about last night."

I plopped on my bed feeling like a fuck boy, but I wanted to get her mind off of things and I genuinely wanted to know the types of things she dreamt about.
She turned around on her heels, giving me a death stare and she took another sip from her cocktail. "Why should I tell you? I wish my brain never betrayed me like that to have the dream in the first place." She padded over to me and sat there, hunched over a bit with her glass in hand. "Please?" I stuck out my bottom lip, those were things I could do without the scarf.

"Fine."