3

CANDY

That day was cold. The temperature in the city had dropped low. Very low but we managed to stay warm in our home. We were happy. We were together. But I guess I should have noticed it. Papa kept pacing around. Mama was anxiously watching the windows while we, the kids, played on the rug in front of the fireplace.

My twin brothers, Aiden and Haiden, and I were unbothered at that point. We had no idea what was to come and we were definitely not prepared for it.

It was almost our bedtime and the twins were already curled up on the rug, half asleep when the first sound came. It was the sound of cars pulling up into our driveway. I thought maybe someone was visiting Mama and Papa but they didn't look like these were pleasant guests.

"Sweetie. Wake your brothers up and go to your room. Lock the door and don't come out until Papa or I come for you," Mama said.

I was scared. Terrified was a better word for it. I shook the boys awake and grabbed their arms then pulled them up. It was when we got to the stairs that a frightening voice came,

"Well. Mr. and Mrs. Sanders. This sure a terrible dilemma you've got yourselves into. Should have kept your mouths shut. Now open this door like the good citizens you are or we'll have to break down this beautiful door."

My mother who was by the window locked eyes with me and I could feel the urgency in her eyes. She wanted me to go up. Now. But I was scared. Petrified. What was happening?

Suddenly my father was in front of me, smiling at me with warm brown eyes. He kissed all three of us on our foreheads and hugged us. The twins were already tearing up because even if they didn't understand the situation well, they knew something was going terribly wrong.

"Because I'm so kind, I'll give you some time to get your shit together. Ten seconds. One...," the voice outside spoke again.

Our mother came to hugs us too but rushed to the drawer she said not to touch and pulled out two guns then threw one to Papa who caught it easily. He looked at us with sadness in his eyes now.

"I love you three. Take care of each other. Be good. If anything happens to us go to aunt Becky, understand. Candy. Take this."

He took off his locket and put it around my neck. The twins were almost in full tears but now they were in silent sobs.

"Nine... Ten... Ready or not, here I come."

There was a strong slam at the door and I had a feeling that with a few more hits it wouldn't stand. I held my brothers' hands and climbed the stairs quickly. Before I disappeared from sight, Mama mouthed, "I love you." That was mere seconds before the door collapsed and men in black suits with guns entered.

We managed to scramble to my room before the gunshots began. I was terrified and so were the boys but I knew we couldn't just sit in the open like a dumb duck. We had to hide.

I held the boys in front of me and stared into their eyes. They were scared. Freaked out. But now wasn't the time for that. We had to do something.

"Listen to me. Mama and Papa want us to survive so we'll do that. Do as I tell you. The bad men will come after us. We need to get out of here."

At that, I looked out the window closest to me that overlooked the grounds and I wanted to curse but I just smiled at the twins with strain. The whole place was surrounded.

"Forget escaping for now. We need to hide."

I looked around frantically and decided the only place we could hide fully was under the bed. But we had to be cautious.