the 2:43 a.m. fight

It was a quiet day.

All was well for the two people who were madly in love. The looks and stares died down and Eva was beginning to think that Grayson was finally getting better.

The fights stopped and all was as normal as it was going to get. 

That was until Eva decided to surprise Grayson at home. 

She snuck in through the back, making sure that both Ryder and Marilyn were gone, which they were. 

As she neared the door, she noticed how the music was loud and something was wedged at the bottom of the door. Confused for all the right reasons, she pushed and pushed until the door opened with a pop.

What her eyes prepared to see was something that sent her heart breaking into tiny, little pieces. Whether or not there was a verbal sound, Eva felt every emotion in her body changing into anger. 

"You." Eva's eyes glazed with tears, hot and salty, dancing down her cheek as she walked closer to Grayson, who dropped what he was holding and squishing it under his heel. Her finger, that Grayson couldn't help himself from holding at appropriate times, jabbed and pierced through his skin, exactly where his heart was. "You promised me," her voice laced with venom and dripping with distaste. 

Eva's voice started to quiver and her eyes that Grayson adored so much filled with a new set of clear tears, " You said you stopped. I told you that whenever you get these urges to come to me and you - you have no regard for me, do you?" 

Grayson closed his stormy grey eyes and opened them again, not wanting to look in her eyes and see the hurt he has caused her. "I'm sorry."

Nobody could deny the crack in his voice or the pain that was hidden behind those words, each syllable threaded with guilt. Eva let a few more tears fall, not bothering to look weak in front of the notorious Grayson Stone.

If he wanted to break her, he'd already done that when he was caught holding that joint.  

Eva took her promises to heart and to see him holding the thing that broke too many relationships to count, it not only broke her heart, it wounded every fiber of her soul. 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Grayson repeated each apology, while holding onto Eva as she sobbed into his chest, ignoring the smell she hated so much. "I'm so sorry, Eva."

Eva took a long breath, finding bittersweet nostalgia at the smell of smoke and mint. Breathing out, she lifted her head, aware of how bad she looked, but even at the sight of two broken teens, Grayson still gave a smile, telling her just how beautiful she still  is to Grayson. Eva smiled back, some pain still laced there, but love shown clearly through her glassy eyes.

"I just don't want to lose you again."

Kiss.

"You never will."

Sigh.

"Good."

Smiles.