Chapter 17

No goons were in the area as I urged them to meet Dr. Golan thus clearing the place. I waited at the rendezvous point for a few minutes and noticed a tap on my shoulder.

"Eli, it's me Millard,"

I turned around and Millard was wearing only a cap on his head. He asked about my clothes and I said that it was for disguise. His cap nodded.

"Where are the others?" I asked.

We're here, Eli," Trixie's voice came out from the bushes and she appeared, along with Miss Peregrine and the others. I ran towards them and hugged my friends and the children. I was shocked to see them arrived here in lightning speed, just about an hour after I made the phone call. Pronto bragged that he used a shortcut to reach here and bowed down. There were sighs and giggles heard from the group.

"So, where Jacob is being held captive?" Miss Peregrine asked with concern.

"I'm not sure," I said. "And morning is almost coming,"

"Don't worry," Kord said. "I got a plan,"

He took out his blaster and a small screen popped out from the blaster's front sight. Kord said that he had equipped a motion detector mod on his blaster back at the loop after knowing that Jacob was captured. However, he needed a suitable slug to enhance its function to detect Jacob easily between the walls of the citadel.

 However, he needed a suitable slug to enhance its function to detect Jacob easily between the walls of the citadel

I opened my backpack and my slugs shook their heads as their functions wouldn't help Kord. Then, I remembered Jacob's one of a kind slug, a Frightgeist slug. His Frightgeist leaped on my shoulder while chirping at Kord.

"A Frightgeist slug will do the trick," he explained. "One of its protoform abilities is to penetrate walls in ghost mode. I'll just have to load him up in my blaster and it will generate its power to the screen,"

"Brilliant, Kord," Bronwyn said.

Kord loaded Jacob's slug into his blaster and a red dot blinked on the top-left corner of the screen. He smiled and said that Jacob was near the front door. Trixie and Millard examined the citadel's blueprints and pointed out that Jacob's location was in the surgery room. Miss Peregrine gasped and we rushed towards the room by circling the perimetre stealthly.

We arrived at the location but we couldn't enter the room instantly as we had the element of surprise. Kord scanned the room's walls and found out that there were three men in the room. They were ready to extract Jacob's soul. Horace suggested to fire the Frightgeist slug at the walls to create an invisible portal, enabling our vision to see right through the wall without being noticed by the people inside.

"I dreamt of this during our journey here," he said.

Hugh and Enoch got mad at him for not telling them about his dream (again). Kord ignored their childlike behaviour and fired the Frightgeist. The slug transformed into a ghost-like creature with sharp claws and it created an invisible portal, just like what Horace mentioned earlier. It was my first time watching the slug reached its velocimorph. I could use one after saving Jacob, I thought. I told Trixie, Kord and Pronto that I wanted a Frightgeist slug, but they shook their heads in horror.

"Deadweed Cavern is the home of the Frightgeist slugs," Trixie stated.

"It is a place of unspeakable danger," Pronto said.

"Only thing you'll find in there is," Kord inhaled and released an eerie ooh sound.

"Sick owls?" I giggled and the three of them facepalmed.

Miss Peregrine observed the portal and saw that Jacob was lying on a surgery bed beside an operating table with surgical equipment

Miss Peregrine observed the portal and saw that Jacob was lying on a surgery bed beside an operating table with surgical equipment. Then, she saw Dr. Golan wore a full set of scrubs and a sanitary cap while Dr. Blakk leant against the wall to watch the operation. The former was getting ready with his job. Everyone was puzzled on how to save Jacob, except for someone.

"Let me do the honors," Enoch said and took out a bunch of his clay dolls.

"Show off," Pronto groaned.

"What are you gonna do with your clay dolls," I asked.

"They are homunculi," he corrected my term about his clay dolls. "Olive, bring me up there,"

Enoch pointed his hand towards an air vent above the room. According to Millard, the air vent would lead them straight to the surgery room. Olive nodded and asked Emma to tie a rope around her waist. Then, she took off her leaded shoes and hoisted Enoch with her in the air. Bronwyn halted Olive's levitation at the roof, enabling Enoch to walk towards the air vent. He fired his Hexlet slug at his army of homunculi and dropped them into the air vent.

"Fiona!" Enoch exclaimed.

Her hands were concentrating and vibrating at the same time, and a large vine grew from the ground, reaching the roof's height. Enoch slid down the vine, but crashed onto the ground. His face was covered with dirt and Pronto laughed.

"What was the Hexlet slug for?" I asked.

"To give a string of bad luck when they touch my men," he said while wiping his face with his shirt. "Watch and learn,"

We observed the room from the portal and saw Enoch's homunculi fell from the ceiling via the air vent. Dr. Blakk and Dr. Golan noticed the clay dolls and grabbed them. Enoch grinned and snapped his fingers. His clay dolls moved vigorously within their grasp and they were shocked. Suddenly, both of them ran in circles with terror and exited the room. We were confused and glanced at Enoch.

"The bad luck from my slug corrupted their mind, causing them to be fearful," he clarified.

Miss Peregrine smiled at Enoch and everyone cheered for him, including Pronto who was cheering unwillingly. Enoch noticed him and tapped Pronto's right shoulder from the front. He apologised for being mean towards Pronto. The mole hugged Enoch and promised to not prank him at most times. Emma interrupted their goings-on and motioned to rush into the room. Everyone nodded and snuck into the citadel without being spotted by any Blakk goons.

* * * * *

The room was left open and we sprinted inside. Kord and Bronwyn locked the door and guarded the room entrance. We saw an unconscious Jacob on the bed with his hands and legs strapped. Emma, Miss Peregrine and I helped untied the straps. I tried to wake Jacob up but it didn't work. Then, Joules hopped out from his slug barrel and onto Jacob's body. His antennae were charging with electricity and aimed it towards Jacob's chest. He woke up instantly while breathing heavily. I hugged Jacob, thankful that he was alive.

"See, I told you that you are safe," I said and he thanked me.

Suddenly, there was a loud bang on the room door, causing Kord and Bronwyn to move away from it. Then, the door exploded and its pieces fell right into place. Nacho, holding his blaster, along with Dr. Blakk and Dr. Golan were standing outside the room.

"Ready or not, here we come," Dr. Golan said.