Clouded Worries

☾☆

"Will you ever stop loving me?"

Kei looked at his wife, confused with her sudden question.

"Of course not. Why are you even asking?"

[Name] continued staring forward, her arms over each other on the railings. The two stood on the balcony from their second-floor under the sky that was slowly turning dark.

"What if there's a time limit to our emotions?" she asked.

"What?"

"What if your time for loving me is up?"

"Alright," Kei said. He placed his hand on her cheek and gently made her face him. "What's wrong?"

[Name] looked at her husband with sad eyes before asking, "What if you wake up one day and you realize that you don't love me anymore?"

"[Name], tell me what's wrong," the blond said, both of his now on each of her cheeks.

"I'm scared, Kei," she said, her eyes looking glassy.

"Come here."

The blond wrapped his arms around her as she tried to calm herself down. Kei ran his fingers through her hair repeatedly, a habit he did whenever he tried to comfort her.

"You okay now?" Kei asked.

"Yeah."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Yeah."

"Do you want me to break the hug?"

"No please," [Name] said, hugging him tighter.

"Okay."

The [h/c]-haired woman took a couple more breaths in and out before she started talking.

"It's just, even if you get married, you could still lose the person," [Name] said. "Two of my staff are getting divorced from their partners. I was so surprised by one of them. She kept telling me how they were happy and then suddenly yesterday she came to me and asked if she could take a leave for a few days. Turns out, they were processing things and she wanted to use her paid leaves so that she could process her own things, her feelings."

"That led you to worry about us?" Kei asked. He felt her nod against his chest.

"Things are good until they aren't. Love is there until it isn't. I'm scared of the possibility. I don't want to lose you Kei."

"You won't," the blond said. He continued to run his fingers through her hair as he said, "Do you remember my vow to you at our wedding? I promised to always love you and I don't intend to go back on my word ever."

Kei pulled back, finally breaking their hug. He placed both of his palms on her cheeks again as he looked at her directly to her eyes.

"Will I ever stop loving you?" Kei said, repeating her question earlier. "No."

[Name] bit her lip as she smiled, a hint of sadness still on her face.