Chapter 30

Luna was incredibly glad that she and Swiper hadn't told Isa and Tico of their plan as she walked in front of Red. Nick was next to her and he sent her a small smile that she returned without hesitation but he could sense the fear in her eyes and he wasn't surprised. After what Dora had put her through, he imagined Luna wasn't too keen about seeing the woman who had sent people to torture her again. The ginger gently meshed his fingers into hers, growling when Red pushed them away from each other but he kept quiet, anyway. His anger wasn't directed at Red in the slightest, he just wanted to look at the crazy Latina in the face and get what he came for.

Luna thought they were going to Dora's office but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Instead, they were pushed into an empty room void of any light and the door was locked behind them. Nick moved close to her and nuzzled his head into the crook of her neck, shutting his eyes. She swallowed, flinching when a soft white light shone down on them, leaving the rest of the room in darkness. Nick pulled away slowly, he and Luna sharing a meaningful gaze before they turned away at the sound of slow clapping.

Dora walked out of the shadows towards them, a gentle smile on her face as she came into the light. Luna felt sick to the stomach over the fact that even then, with all the hate she felt for the purple-haired CEO, a small part of her still wanted to worship her. She glared at her while Nick hung his head, struggling to prepare himself to face her. Her eyes were on Nick and she ignored Luna for the moment, squatting so she could see his eyes.

"What do you think you're doing ignoring me, Swiper? I'm curious, how come you could look at me at the ball with those grey eyes of yours but you're too scared to, now?" Nick's lip trembled and he bit hard on it to end the shaking, clearing his throat before he responded.

"My name is Nicholas Garcia and to answer your question, while at the ball and at your agency, I wasn't me. I was acting out the role of Edwardo Lopez. Smug, confident and flirtatious... Everything I was before you messed me up. Being in that cell... Knowing my grandmother died there... It fucking broke me."

"How could you even tell, huh? No one else ever made a peep but you, Mr Nicholas Garcia? I heard you mumbling at random moments, almost as if you were pulling out of the trance I had put you in. How did you do it?"

"Well... Let's put it this way. If you know anything about Harry Potter, you would know about Azkaban. That horrid place in the wizarding world where they take the worst criminals. A place where all your joy is sucked away by dementors. Luckily for me, though, my life wasn't a complete shit show before you kidnapped me. I had my foxy granny and I had my Luna. Things were tough at times but I held onto the joy that I felt, even while I was trapped in there. That was how I managed to survive and even when Grandma died... The thought of possibly losing Luna too made me fight my way out of the state I was in."

"Then you freed as many as you could and ran. I had to up my security because of you. Do you remember all those inventions you thought up to escape, Swiper? When we weren't filming, your brain came up with the craziest ideas. Ideas I've brought to life right here and one of them is the ghoster. The person remains alive and human but there is no heat signature. It's done wonders when I need to sneak into facilities or end people without leaving a trace. If not for my ghosts, we would never have gotten Backpack for as long as we had so Red could inject her."

"Where is she?!" Luna growled out, her fangs digging into her lower lip when Dora laughed at her. Nick leaned over, managing to kiss her shoulder and lean his chair back so it stood on its four legs before it toppled over with him in it. Luna smiled softly at him, staring at the floor when Dora crouched down in front of her and held her chin up.

"Luna... Why are you avoiding my eyes, huh? I'm sorry I got your brother to do what he did but you have to understand that I needed to break your feistiness, as much as I love it. Clearly, he didn't do a good enough job if you're here right now... Which is why I've done something to teach him a lesson. Would you like to see?"