Chapter 5

It was nearing midday when I ended up in the middle of the forest, off of the familiar path. I tried my best to guide Tillie through the thick, overgrown brush. Branches scraped my legs and a few of them located my face and struck me, resulting in a slight stinging sensation. I smiled, maybe this is my punishment for disobeying my father. Perhaps I should have listened to him, after all, the forest is full of creatures, many that I don't know the names of. We emerged into a clearing and I pulled Tillie to a stop to admire the tranquility of the scene before me. The sun beamed down through the trees, causing ethereal streams of light to luminate the bright green moss that blanketed the forest floor. I remembered my childhood governess telling me that it was God speaking to us mortals. I don't know if that's particularly true, but it was a nice explanation for a little girl who didn't understand very much.

I flinched as I hear the sound of a dead branch cracking in two, somewhere behind me. I nudged Tillie with my heels into the middle of the clearing and steer her around to face the sound. Peering into the thick brush, my eyes squinting, I thought I saw the faint silhouette of... a man? I blinked and in the next moment whoever, whatever, I saw had disappeared. Now the warm and magical clearing didn't feel so inviting anymore. I twisted in the saddle to glance quickly behind me, as though there was a target on my back and someone was taking aim. Nudging my horse into a trot I rode away with Tillie's hooves finding the safest places to step. Minutes later, we emerged onto the main trail, but I didn't feel safe yet. Looking down the trail left and then right I saw that town was closer than home. No one would hurt me in a public place, right?

I made my way to the edge of town and paused for a moment, taking in the view. It looked much different with the sun blazing and the townspeople lingering about buying an assortment food from vendors who shouted out, letting everyone know of their top notch selection. I saw a rough looking dog meandering around the area probably looking for a scrap of food to scavenge. He sniffed something out and snatched it up, baring his teeth at anyone who dared to look his way. I saw some of myself in his actions and chuckled. I hopped down from Tillie's back and lead her toward the crowd. She walked so close to me I could feel her warm smelly breath. It was somewhat of a comfort, really, amidst the hustle and bustle of the townspeople.

After leaving Tillie in the town stable, I made my way to the tavern I had visited once before. Immediately upon stepping inside I felt a welcoming feeling from the relaxed and slightly sluggish nature of its innumerable inhabitants. Men, and surprisingly a few women, hunched over their drinks, nursing them slowly. Threading my way through the packed tables, I made it to the bar and sat down. The barmaid who saved me from that uncomfortable situation last time I had visited was on duty today again. Perched on the stool, I waited patiently, well somewhat, for her to notice me. A minute passed and she had yet to even flick her eyes toward me once. I didn't really want a drink anyway.

Abandoning my seat, I lightly jostled my way through the throng of mostly men who were seemingly waiting for a turn at the stools and found myself at the edge of the crowd. From my vantage point I noticed a couple of shifty looking fellows, to put them lightly, eyeing a door. It was situated a little past the end of the bar, nestled in the dim corner. Curiosity took ahold of me as I proceeded to watch for the next half hour or so as the men took turns entering the room. Each time the door was pushed open, I tried to make out what in the world was going on. After inching closer to the men and blending in with the crowd, I finally caught a good glimpse of the situation. A handful of men were sat around a circular table doing what I could only assume was gambling of some sort. Before the door swung shut, my gaze connected with one of the men, his cold dark eyes caused a chill to rush down my spine.

I didn't feel so welcome anymore.