Chapter 54

I rummage through the refrigerator and find a batch of cookies; grabbing two before heading up the stairs to get a blanket and pillow for the couch. I am hoping I won’t have trouble going to sleep knowing that Louis is only up the stairs. I lay on the couch, flipping through the pages of a novel on my Nook, until I hear footsteps on the stairs. I sit up slightly to see who it is and there’s Louis trying to sneak into the kitchen with messy hair and tired eyes, “Oh, I thought you were asleep.” I shake my head, “I couldn’t sleep.” “Do you always have to use that excuse?” “It’s not an excuse.” I inform him casually, not trying to act like a smartass, but knowing me, I probably sounded like one anyway. “I was just going to get a drink.” “I think I’ll get one too.” I say, following him into the kitchen. I grab a bottled water out of the fridge and sit down at the breakfast bar, “I’m sorry for overreacting earlier.” Louis says, sitting down beside me, “You didn’t overreact.” “I did. I’m just paranoid.” “Paranoid? Why?” “That you might have been out with Ash? I don’t know? It was stupid.” I sigh, putting my hand over his, “It wasn’t stupid. You had every right to be paranoid. I used to be paranoid over everything you did thinking that you were going to go see Liam… I understand.” He nods, “You can come to bed with me if you’d like?” I smile, “I’d love to.” I bring my water upstairs with me, placing it on the bedside table before crawling into bed beside Louis. It feels like home. Lying beside him, falling asleep to the sound of his steady breathing… that is home to me.

 I wake up the next morning and notice that Louis isn’t beside me anymore. I hear the shower running, so I immediately get out of bed and retreat to the bathroom; knowing that that is where Lou is. I pull the shower curtain back and Louis jumps, pulling it in front of his naked body, “Why are you covering yourself, Lou? I’ve seen you naked plenty of times before.” He laughs, but doesn’t move the shower curtain, “Do you always have to come into the bathroom unannounced?” “Yes. I only came to tell you good morning.” He rolls his eyes, but I see him smile slightly, “Good morning.” I peck his lips, “Oh, and happy New Years Eve.” “We’re still going to the party, right?” I ask; hoping that my proposal will still go as planned, “Yes.” I smile happily, leaving the bathroom and getting dressed quickly. I need to go pick up Louis’ engagement ring from the jewelry store. I decide to just write him a note instead of waiting for him to get out of the shower. I tell him that I’ve gone to get us breakfast and that I will be back soon; not a complete lie… I really will get us breakfast when I’m out.