I

Chapter one

Go!! Get out!!" a man screamed out to everyone in a small section of the museum. as he ran around the corner, a loud BOOM pierced my ears as everything went black and crumbs of the building filled the room. people in sight were being swept off their feet, landing on the ground, dead from the impact. i, theodore decker, am one of the survivors of the metropolitan museum bombing.

seconds before this tragic incident happened, my mother and i were traveling through the art section. stopping at certain pieces of beautiful artwork. mostly the ones she liked though. we stopped at a special piece of artwork, it was her favorite. a painting of a small goldfinch on a branch. i could see why she liked it, it was settling and very pretty. all of a sudden, she let go of me and walked away, back to the "human anatomy" painting. little did i know that would be the last time i felt her calming touch, her comforting hugs, hear her sweet voice.

i waited in my small apartment waiting for her to come home, but what i didn't know was that she was gone, forever. i ended up moving in with an old friend, Andy Barbour. they welcomed me like i was already one of their own. giving me a space to take a rest for a little while, giving me dry clothes, and giving me a pathway into their family. mrs. barbour was like my second mom all my life, so now she let me do whatever. if i wasn't feeling okay she let me skip school, she hugged me when i cried over a dream, and came in to help me when i had a nightmare.

after a month of living there, they said they would be gone for the entire summer on a trip, but they invited me. or they did until my father and his girlfriend Xandra showed up and ruined it all. "theo.. oh my god how much i missed you" my so called father hugged me, i didn't hug back, in my honest opinion i didn't think of him as my father. "hi da-" i was cut off by this bitch saying "hi theo i'm xandra, with an x don't mess it up."

"welcome to your new life theo.. you're coming home" he told me, my eyes widened and i looked at mrs. barbour. i wasn't ready to go back to him. after those years of him being gone, he finally wants me.. why? why now?

the blonde boy packed his bags and went down into the streets of new york city with his dad, saying goodbye to the only people he will actually call his second family. they all piled into a taxi and rode to the nearest airport to head to L.A.

as the family pulled up to their small suburban home, theo felt his heart start to pound, he wasn't ready for this. he got out of the car and grabbed his belongings, walking into the house and into the room he got to call his own. after meeting popper, and getting settled in for the night, he decided to try to get some rest, even though he missed new york. who knows, maybe he can start all over and have a brand new life here.

in the morning, he already had to start school, he got up and went outside to the bus stop. he didn't want to start a new life just yet, but his parents said he needed to get a head start. when the bus pulled up, there were so many people on the bus, jumping and being rowdy. "god.. please tell me this place isn't a fucking hell hole.." he whispered under his breath while stepping into the crowded bus.

when the bus pulled up to the school, he looked at it like he was staring at a piece of dog shit, the building looked trashed. "god.. why do public schools in large city's have to be shitty.." he said, looking disgusted. "you could say that one hundred more times and i would not argue.." a boy with an accent said. he turned around to have his jaw mentally drop, this man was like.. hot. he was tall.. with blackish brown hair and the same colored eyes. he seemed quite pale though, his russian accent made him 1000% more attractive.

"snap out of it theo!" he though and shook himself out of his daydream. "um.. are you going to move or no?" the taller man said, and he soon moved out of the way. "boris.." the brunette stuck out his hand "boris pavlikovsky". the blonde shook the taller boys hair "theo, theodore decker". the two shared a moment of silence while they smiled at each other. but that small moment was broken by the loud sound of the school bell.

"we better get to class.." theo said trying to get inside. the taller boy followed him. half the day passed and theo was bored out of his mind, he didn't know what to do while sitting in english, so he started doodling all over his arm in sharpie. he glanced behind him when he was hit in the back of the neck with something wet. boris started chuckling quietly with a straw in his hand, joking around with the blonde boy.

after the school day ended, theo and boris went home on the bus together, they shared the same bus stop and walked home together. out of the blue boris pulled me behind a vacant house near his house, looking me in the eyes and smiled softly. "what are we doing back here?" theo said, looking at the taller man, confused. boris put his hands on the smaller boys face and leaned in.

"hey.. hey! potter!" boris hit theos arm and got up, waking theo from another one of his daydreams. "what?" he asked, and boris yanks him up, "you want to stay on this bus or actually go home?" he laughed. they got off the bus and walked to boris's house, also surrounded by vacant houses.