23. Kinley

Kinley Price, In Real Life

The AMAs are the single biggest moment of my career thus far. The American Music awards. The biggest honor an artist can have next to a Grammy nomination, and it's happening to me. Me.

I step out of the car with my heart beating in my throat. I had my reservations about coming, mostly because I feel so unqualified to be here when everyone else who was nominated is obscenely talented. Still, I sucked it up and put the fancy dress on. Now I'm being blinded by flashing lights and deafened by the chaos.

Hundreds of people are screaming my name,

"Kinley!"

"Kinley, over here!"

"Kinley, give me a smile!"

"Look at me, gorgeous!"

"Kinley, can I get a picture?"

They won't stop shouting at me. I keep jerking my head around in circles like something out of the exorcist, trying to figure out who is talking. You can't please every photographer, but I'm trying.

I'm so distracted I crash right into a hard body. Arms catch me around the waist, and the warmth of these hands is familiar. I know exactly who's holding me, especially when his cologne hits.

"Hi, love," Riley says softly.

I swallow hard. "Hi, Riley."

Knowing what I have to do, I curl up beside him, letting his arm drape over me. We grin for the cameras, acting as amicable as possible. The thing of it is, I've missed his touch. My senses are in overdrive coming to terms with his proximity. The person I've loved for so long is finally beside me once more.

We continue walking after another moment. The rest of the band is further away, signing autographs and leaning over the barricade for photos. Riley hangs back, taking my wrist. He says nothing, but his eyes plead with me.

"Not now," I murmur. "Please."

He nods. "Okay."

With a quick kiss to my cheek, he leaves.

Wanting to avoid the awkwardness, I hurry away, leaving Faraway Blues behind me for the masses.

🎵🎵🎵

I was nominated for a few different categories, which is absolutely insane. Next to faces like Taylor Swift or Billie Eilish, I'm just a girl over her head, trying to look like I belong here. It's hard not to break into shrieking whenever I pass someone I've admired for so long. I couldn't ask Selena Gomez for a photo, though a small part of me wants to when she smiles my way.

I find my seat quickly, convinced I'll be holding my breath as the awards begin. I'm not expecting to win, but part of me wants to. Of course, I want to win. There's something validating about commercial success.

Before Best New Artist, Best International Artist comes up. Faraway Blues was an easy choice for that award, especially considering everything they've done recently. Under the heavy layers of my ball gown, I cross my fingers, hoping for them.

As if the universe was honoring my request, they win.

Gage screams, smacking Freddie on the arm in total disbelief. Stephie bursts into tears with Perry following close behind her, and Riley sits in his seat with a shell-shocked look in his eyes, lost and unsure of how to continue.

Then, across the room, he looks at me.

I smile at him and mouth, get up there.

It's Riley who steps up to the mic, letting Stephie take the trophy. It's clear he meant to prepare a speech, but the words are foreign and don't fit for the situation. Instead, he speaks from the heart.

"A lot of you know where I was at the beginning of this journey. Musically, the lads and I were taking off. That's all thanks to you, to the fans and the people who voted for us. We wouldn't be able to say we were chart-toppers if you hadn't listened to our albums and shared them. For that, we're eternally grateful."

He trails off, searching for his next words.

"I wouldn't be where I am without these amazing people beside me. Our band is a unit, and even if I'm the face everyone uses to represent us, they're the heart and soul of Faraway Blues. I'm nothing without Gage, or Perry, or Stephie, or Freddie. I love you guys, truly."

"You sappy little wanker," Stephie jumps in.

Everyone laughs. A whole crowd erupts into laughter.

"But, I also want to thank a very specific woman. We all do, actually, because she helped us with this album beyond belief. The inspiration she provided is invaluable, and even if she doesn't have her name on our record, she's a part of the band."

Me. He's talking about me.

He finds me again, watching me and meeting my eyes. The room melts away, and he looks at me directly.

"I know I've messed up, but I love you. I don't want to stop making music, and I certainly don't want to make it with anyone else. Thank you for this. Thank you for getting us here," he says, finishing sincerely.

My heart aches. I knew that I'd forgiven him a long time ago, and now I'm desperate to prove it, to show him that I'm never letting go. Never again. He changed my life, and I want him back because the world is incomplete without him in it.

I just want him to know.

I want Riley. He's like oxygen. He makes the world feel okay again.

I need him.

"Fuck yeah!" Gage cheers him on.

Perry swats Gage. "Don't curse on TV!"

And with that, they finish the speech. Stephie takes the award and leaps off stage with her mates behind her, smiling from ear to ear. The rest of them follow, the energy palpable.

But Riley's show doesn't end with the speech.

He makes a beeline toward me, stopping when he reaches my seat. I notice that his cheeks are wet, and it gets me up, in his arms, wiping them away with my fingertips. He holds me tightly, like he's scared to let go.

"I love you too," I tell him. "I'm so sorry."

He chuckles, a breath of utter relief. "Can I kiss you. Please?"

I giggle, resting my forehead against his. "I thought I'd never get the chance again."

And he does. He takes my breath and kisses me with every fiber of his being. He kisses me and kisses me and sets the world on fire with every motion of his sweet mouth. I'm overwhelmed with emotion, feeling it wash over me. This is the healing part. This is the part where it comes together.

It doesn't matter that, at the end of the night, I don't get a trophy or some award.

I think I won, in the end.