Chapter 11|

Chatper 11|

   "Yes!" Cissy wrapped her arms around Mason's neck, the paper crumpling in hand, hugging him tightly. "I passed my final." She exclaimed, excitingly. Mason squeezed her tightly, leaning against the car, laughing at her giddiness.

Daemon scoffed, walking up behind her to grab the algebra test out of her hand. "C plus." He looked at the red marked exam paper. "I guess I owe you five dollars Mason." He chuckled.

   "Five dollars! Is that all my hard work is worth? I can't believe you bet on me. Did you really think I wouldn't pass?" She pouted playfully, snatching her exam back and kissing the paper.

The corner of Daemon's mouth quirked up. "No. But I was the one tutoring you, and let's face it, math just isn't for you, Cissy."

   "Whatever, I don't care. I'm just happy winter break is here and no more school!" Cissy bounced on her feet, relieved.

   "Well, she could always fail next semester. Should we keep the bet at five dollars?" Mason grinned toward Daemon. He laughed again as Cissy tried to shove him, hearing his comment.

 "I hate you guys." Her lips pursing. She stood between the both of them, crossing her arms. All three of them knew she didn't mean a word she'd said."Do I even get a reward? I did pass. What about we celebrate with ice cream?" Her eyes lit up again, quickly changing the subject to sweets. 

Daemon grabbed her cheeks, squeezing them both between his fingers.

"A reward?" He regarded her with a slight smirk, his lips curving upward as he stared down at her. "Do I even get a thanks?" He brought her face forward until she had to stand on her tip toes and stare at him with her neck craned up.

   "Okay. I get it." She pulled at his hands. "Why?" She complained, groaning softly while rubbing her red cheeks. "Ugh. You know I hate it when you do that."

   "Exactly." Daemon remarked.

Cissy sighed, but reached up on her toes to kiss him on his cheek. She saw disappointment flash across for a brief moment, and ignored it, turning back to Mason to do the same.

   "No ice cream, Cissy. But how about frozen yogurt?" Mason suggested.

   "Can we play in the snow too?" Cissy asked.

   "It has to snow first." Mason laughed.

"Okay, but when it does, can we? All of us?" She tried to ask nicely as she could. Cissy knew Mason would have no problem with it.  It was Daemon she had to try and convince.

He had leaned against the car beside Mason, hands in his coat pockets, raising a brow as she'd turned to look up at him.

   "Please? C'mon, Daemon. It's not like I'm asking for much..." Her voice trailed off nervously.

"Sure. If it does snow." Daemon graced her with one of his rare smiles and pulled her into his arms. Her eyes lit up and she flushed against him, glad her face was hidden in his chest or else they would've noticed.

No, she couldn't feel this way.

***

A few hours later, back at house, Cissy was warming some hot chocolate when she started to hear thudding sounds coming from downstairs. Confusion crossed her face as she spooned the brown colored powder and marshmallows, letting it melt in her mug.

Still dressed in a pair of skinny jeans and an oversized sweater, Cissy walked out of the kitchen, her sock clad feet padding softly across the hardwood floor, following the cluster of noise that lead her toward the basement steps. It became louder the closer she got, but it wasn't just the sound of the TV she heard. Voices too, coming from this level.