part 3

they advance before him to the next world, crowding round him and asking him for news of the world and those who are in it. then the angels takes the soul up from heaven to heaven and every angel in every heaven he passes through prays for blessings on him. he is delighted by the sweetest and most beautiful good tidings. then the soul comes to a standsitll before the almighty king, may his majesty be exalted! he says to the soul, 'welcome to this good soul and to the body which it left'. when the lord, the mighty and majestic, makes something welcome, then everything welcomes it and every constriction departs from it. then he says 'show him his place in the garden and display before him the honour and blessing i prepared for him.' then the angels take him back down to the earth so that he can see his body being washed and they carry on a conversation although the living cannot hear it.

the angels pray for the soul of the believer in the heavens just as people pray over his body on the earth. finally, the body is buried and the soul returns to between the body and the shroud. this return does not imply the same connection that the soul had to the body in this world. it is not even the same connection which it had in the sleeping state nor the connection which it has when it is in its resting place. this return is a special return for the questioning as we have already clarified.

then, as we have already mentioned, the two angels, munkar and nakir, come down and question him...