Chapter XVIII

"We can't swim," Arthur said, "I mean, I can, but..."

I shook my head.

"Yeah," he said.

"Can't swim," I stated.

"Could we build a bridge? There's plenty of wood here," he suggested.

I went to a tree and examined it. I touched it, I smelled it.

"We can't," I said, "I know this wood. It's too weak to hold our weight, it's practically hollow inside."

"Hollow inside..."

We thought together.

"Gwen," Arthur said, he seemed to be having an idea, "This wood won't hold our weight if we walk on it."

"Yes, that's what I said."

"But will it hold our weight if we sit on it?"

"What? Why are you asking me—"

"If we were to float with it."

"Oh my God. Yeah! Yes! That is it! It is definitely buoyant."

Arthur laughed, relieved.

"And there's a log, right there!" I pointed out.

We went and picked it up together. We placed it on the water. It floated. We sat on top of it, it did not sink. With another fallen log, we made rows that we would use to propel us where we needed to go.

Off we went. Row. It was almost fun. Row. I was glad Arthur was there. Row. He was my best friend. Row. He took care of me. Row. He would never let me be in danger. Row. I had no idea how much that was true until that serpent came out of the log.

We had been using a python's nest as our boat, and it was not happy about it.

The snake slithered towards me, furious.

"Arthur..." I said as I went back as far as I could.

Arthur turned around and, with great speed, he knocked the snake off the log. The animal swam. It swam back to our draft. Impulsively, I jumped without hesitation. Maybe I was not thinking or maybe I was and I knew Arthur would not let me die.

He also jumped in. He swam towards me as I moved my arms at an attempt to survive. He took me and put me on his back. I was too heavy. I was pushing him down, like Clarah's sister.

"Arthur," I coughed out water, "Let me go!" I screamed.

"Arthur, I won't let you die!"

He knew I would go through hell before letting him get hurt. He let me off his back, I sank. I was then pulled up and I jumped to the surface, gasping. In water again. This is how it went. The whole way, until we reach the other side. Arthur would throw me up as he swam, I would sink as he caught his breath, then he would throw me up again.

We got to the bank and I stayed down on the ground. I coughed intensely all the water I had taken in. I vomited. Arthur was catching his breath.

"Are..." he stopped to breathe, "Are you okay?"

I coughed again, then said, "I think so."

"I think it's best if we rest for just a bit before we continue."

It burned when I exhaled, "Yeah. Okay."

Thank God I had worn my bag across my body, it had stayed on. I checked to make sure everything was still inside.

Arthur used sticks to make a fire. We sat in front of it, enjoying its heat and observing its beauty.

Arthur smiled, "Do you remember when your mother made me a surprise celebration for my birthday?"

I smiled as well, "Do I? I worked my little butt off helping her!" I laughed, "She has the sweetest ideas."

"That is one of my favorite memories. I felt so happy that day, so loved."

"We were only thirteen. Well, you were fifteen. It was well before the war."

"Yeah. Happy times."

"I miss them so much..."

"Me too. But, hey, we have not lost two really important things—your mother, and each other."

He put his arm around me and continued,

"We cannot give up on this mission. Your mother... Maria is like a second mom to me. When my mother died, she took that place without anyone asking. She took care of me."

"Yeah."

"We should sleep, for just a while. Then we continue, as fast as we can."

"Okay." I lied down and closed my eyes. I was tired, I slept in no time. Arthur was not as run down, his sleep came later.

***

"Arthur," I shook him, "Arthur, we have to go."

He woke up. We gathered our things and went on. To the Oracle's cabin.

The cabin reminded me a lot of the three witches' houses, except it was much smaller. Arthur and I came in, the little bell rang. The Oracle rose up from getting something from behind her desk.

"Ah," said the old woman.

"Hello, we're—"

"Gwen. And Arthur. I know."

I now realized. It was not just the house that reminded me of the witches. The Oracle had a striking resemblance to them, as well. The Oracle was the witches' mother.

"You can see the future," I said. Arthur looked at me.

"You're a smart one, Gwen."

"Please, can you tell me something?" I asked.

"I certainly can, but it will cost you. Not only money, but the knowledge may risk your own life."

"I—" I was about to accept the dangerous offer, I wanted to know what had been crossed out from the list the medic had given me.