Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six: Brooke

I've got a pocket full of pretty green
I'm gonna put it in the fruit machine
I'm gonna put it in the juke box
It's gonna play all the records in the hit parade
This is the pretty green - this is society
You can't do nothing - unless it's in the pocket
- oh no -

I've got a pocket full of pretty green
I'm gonna give it to the man behind the counter
He's gonna give me food and water
I'm gonna eat that and look for more

And they didn't teach me that in school
It's something that I learnt on my own
That power is measured by the pound or the fist
It's as clear as this oh

I've got a pocket full of Pretty Green!

It's not long before I arrive outside of Tons club which is well hidden.

I bang on the steel door and wait for the screeching to come.
That's my weakness.

The door opens, letting a lot of light out into the alley. Adam stood there, squinting.

When he finally realised who it is, he smiles. "Hey Brooke ! Long time no see!" He welcomes, talking as if I'm his long lost friend. He gestures for me to come in.

"Hey, I know." I greet.

"Where you been? Though we'd be seeing you sooner."

Oh shit! I totally forgot I was in a coma for a 3 weeks.

"Oh, er. I was kind of busy with some things."

There is absolutely no way I'm telling him though.
Adam starts to ramble on about something, but I've not got the patience to listen. I may not have known him for long, but I can tell he's a suck up, and just trying to get close to me for the publicity.

I almost squeal in relief when I see Tom in his office.

"Sorry, Adam. But I gotta speak with Tom right now. See ya!" I rush, closing Toms office door before he can reply.

Tom comes over to me and hugs me.
"Hey babydoll!! Where you been?" Tom welcomes, surprised to see me even though I said I was coming.

I hug him back, trying not to flinch at the tightness of his hug, and how it was affecting my ribs.

"Hey! Sorry, I, er, was busy." I lie.

He pulls back and gives me the look. "You may be good at lying to others, Brooke, but you don't fool me." He says seriously, "now, tell me what really happened."

I bite my bottom lip heard, debating whether or not to tell him.
"C-can I tell you after my fight?" I ask, nervous for his answer.

Tom takes his time in replying. And I grow more and more anxious by the second.
"Fine. But I want the full story!" He demands, pointing at me.

I smile hugely, nodding my head. "Of course!! Now, what you got for me?"

---------------------------------------

"I've got..." Tom flicks trough a few sheets of paper. "William Adams: medium build. Been here a few weeks. He's 21."

I make a bored expression. "What else you got?"

"We have Thomas Egerton: medium build. Been here 3 years, and he's 25 just like you."

It was as if light bulbs were going off in my head. This was just perfect. "You got a picture?" I ask.

He shuffles a bit more, and pulls out a small paper and hands it me.
In the picture, he looks quite tall. Taller than me, and that's saying something. Brown hair with matching brown eyes.

He looks so much like Sam it was frightening.
I had to fight him!

"He's perfect. Have him in the ring in 20." I ask, already gathering my things and making my way outside.

-----------------------------------------
"Right, Brooke, I don't really need to give you a pep talk, because you'll kick his arse anyway." Tom says to me.

I smile, "thanks Tom."

"But. Just go out there and show him who's still in charge!"

I don't say anything else, as I hear the roars of the crowd in the distance.

I push open the steel door and am welcomed by the cheers and drunken slurs.

This is what I live for.

I step into the ring.
I had changed into some joggers and a tank top, seeing as I could wear a short top.
That would expose my bruises.

I come face to face with my opponent: Thomas Egerton.

Oh. My. God.

You would think it was Sam himself. They both have the same facial structures, and they're round about the same height.

The bell rings, and we both go fucking metal!