It's Your Turn

I walked nervously down the hallway of the school. The clicking of my black, shiny Mary Jane shoes against the floor was muffled by the luxurious red carpeting rolled down the center of the hard wood floor. I twirled a golden bow-shaped ring around my right ring finger anxiously. The headmaster had called me to his office.

        I had no idea why I was going to the headmaster's office. I was a good student; I was smart, I always turned my work in on time, I always aced my tests, and I never got in fights. I was known to be one of the nicest girls in school, actually. So why would I be going to the office? Had I been framed for a crime? Only time will tell, I guess... I thought to myself, and took a deep breath.

        The last few steps to the office were almost excruciating. Time seemed to slow down. Thoughts swirled through my head faster than I could count them, and most were about failure. I reached my hand out, my arm shaking, to wrap my fingers around the cold door handle. I turned the golden knob to the office, and slowly pulled the heavy wooden door open. Once the gap was wide enough to squeeze through, I poked my head in. "Apple!" The secretary's voice startled me. "Come, sit, Headmaster Grimm will be right with you." She instructed. I slithered through the door the rest of the way, and perched on a wooden chair in the corner to wait.

        Minutes felt like hours. The only sounds were the click-clacking of the secretary's computer, and the tick-tock of the large grandfather clock in the opposite corner of the office. The walls were chocolate brown on top, and eggshell white on the bottom, with a golden band separating the colours. The floor was a dark brown- almost black- wood. The walls were lined with paintings of Ever After, framed in elaborate gold designs. There was one of almost every famous castle, including my mother's. The biggest frame surrounded a painting of Ever After High, the huge school we all hope to go to one day. In fact, I'll be going there next year! Thoughts about what fun I'll have in high school calmed my nerves a bit, and I was able to relax.

        "Send Apple in," a voice buzzed over the secretary's phone. She pressed a button and spoke, "Right away, sir!" The secretary turned to me and sent an empathetic smile. "You'll be fine, dear. Don't you worry your pretty little head off!" I returned a weak smile, and stood. I brushed imaginary dust off of my apple red jumper skirt, and squeaked a small "Th-thanks!"

        And then I walked through the door.