Welcome Back Jack

Finding Frost-Chapter 2

Welcome Back Jack

Copyright 2012. All Rights Reserved

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

Class was................interesting, if you could say that. The substitute was absolutely hopeless and we got absolutely nothing done. The sporty boys were throwing around papers, the popular girls were gossiping and giggling about "the new boy", and the nerds were studying as per usual. Actually the popular girls weren't the only ones ogling the new kid, it was ALL the girls and even a few guys were doing so too. I think I even heard a few of the popular jocks trying to recruit him.    

I, on the other hand, was working on a short story for a contest, which was all the sub managed to tell us before the mayhem began. He informed us that our regular teacher, I can't recall her name, had these flyers for a national short story contest with a prize of $5,000 and a book deal. Only a few kids took one of the flyers and I happened to be in that small majority.    

I had yet to pick a topic. The flyer said that the topic was up to the writer and was a minimum was 100 words and a maximum of 5,000. It was pretty much a free for all except that it couldn't be offensive in any way to any specific gender, race or religion. I obviously had plenty of time until the submission was due but I, unlike    

"Could he be more perfect?" I heard one of the girls behind me ask on of her "friends".    

"I totally don't think so." the friend answered.    

"I just love the way his hair hangs in his eyes. He looks so cool!" the first squealed.     "And he's just sitting there, not paying attention to anyone, listening to music. He is such a bad boy!"    

"Nuh uh, he's like totally just a sensitive soul. He's probably not into like materialistic things like football and he respects like women." A third girl cut in as I sighed and put in my earphones, settling for something much more entertaining like a little classical music.    

The rest of class passed by without a hitch and when the bell rang, I watched disdainfully as everyone quickly exited the room. I sat for a moment and then made my way slowly out of the room. As I did, I noticed that no one was paying any attention. Hmmmm that's strange, I wonder what's going on?    

I saw Tanner was leaning up against a few lockers taking in his surroundings so I made my way over, "What's with everyone?    

Tanner shrugged his shoulders and wrapped his arms around me, "How should I know? Probably that new kid, what's his name.................Jacob I think? Everyone was talking about him in my last class."    

"He was in my last class AND there was a substitute teacher so everyone was fawning over him all class. It was terrible, mostly because I had to deal with an hour and a half of that mess. " I told Tanner with a sigh.    

"I can absolutely agree. While the longer class period gives us more time for each class and less classes a day, when one does not want to be there, it can be absolutely dreadful."    

"Block scheduling does have its ups and downs but I think the positive aspects outweigh the negative ones, wouldn't you agree?"    

"Most definitely."    

We walked in silence for a few moments when my mind began to wander to the new boy. His time in starting here is rather odd, I mean it's almost Halloween and we normally don't get any new students after the third week of school.    

"I wonder why he moved here around now?" I thought aloud and looked to Tanner for his input. I suddenly inhaled, smelling Tanner's amazing cologne as someone opened the door, letting the breeze in.