The Promise

Urmila ran as fast as she could. Her heart was beating wildly and her tears flew to the wind.. She didn't stop to catch her breath. She ran into the vast lush forest gardens of Mithila.. The lush greenery was her secret abode. She loved coming there ever since she was a child.. The trees and the breeze helped her reclaim her thoughts. Right now, she was hurt.. She was hurt at the rejection.. Her heart broke into a million pieces when she heard the younger prince exclaim "Why doesn't Father understand that I don't want to and never get married !!!" She perched herself below a big shady tree and exhaled deeply. Her breath was ragged. Tears flowed freely down her cheeks. His rejection hurt. But it were the words that stung her heart deep. She had been wrong.. He didn't love her. She was right when she thought she didn't acknowledge his feelings. She had seen Mandavi's anger from beside when the Prince had uttered those words. Her cousin was sure to be waiting for her no matter how late she reached the palace. If there was something that made Mandavi fight her love for sleep, it was books and her sisters, her sisters taking the priority.. Mandavi and herself had numerous occasions to themselves where they just spent time in the Royal Library reading books.. The silent aquaintance, she had always enjoyed.. She smiled at the thought of her demonic sister. She thought of her mother and father. Her father had been extremely pleased when she had given the nod to the proposal. Her mother would be worried for her. She looked up at the sky. The blue was slowly turning into a orangish red which meant the sun was setting and that it was soon going to be dark. She heard a rustling sound from behind and stood up with wide eyes. She didn't have anything to protect herself with. She had been so stupid... Her mother had warned her numerous times not to wander into the forests after sunset but being the stubborn princess, when had she listened to her !! Now she was alone in the middle of the forest with no means of defending herself.. What if it was animal.. Or worse.. What is it was a demon.. Fear gripped her heart and she asked "Who goes there !!!!" A voice spoke back "Its me, Princess." She felt a shiver run up her spine. That voice, she could recognize anywhere. That was the voice of the man she loved... A silhoutte of a man came out into the light. The younger prince stood infront of her, the setting sun making him look like a piece of the most magnificient art.

Lakshman didn't need to be told twice. He rushed into the direction in which Urmila had fled. His heart was broken into a million pieces when he remembered her grief-stricken face and her hurt eyes at his exclamation. He ran through the forests, not knowing where she could be. But he was not going to give up. He ran through the trees and bushes until he heard sniffs. He saw a small piece of the cream colored skirt she wore and knew that he had found her. His rustling had made her get up and look around in alarm. He noticed the way her eyes went wide and ask out for the intruder. He smiled to himself and came out to the light. Lakshman sighed in relief on seeing her safe.. Urmila stared at him.. Lakshman looked at her "You know Princess.. Next time, you hear a rustling sound, don't ask who is it.. Just run." Urmila stared dumbly at him "How did you manage to find me ?" Lakshman sighed "It wasn't easy Princess. The forest is very large and deep.. But I would have searched anywhere for you if it were to find you." Urmila asked "Why did you want to find me ?" Lakshman exclaimed "How could I not want to find you !!! You ran away.." Urmila laughed "Yes I did.. And I'll have you to thank for.." Lakshman flinched at her words. Urmila continued "What with that exclamation of hate for the proposal.. Am I so hateful, Prince ?? Am I not worthy of you ??? Is my love not desirable ??" Lakshman looked aghast at her lament of anger. Was that what she thought !!! He shook his head at her "No no Mila. You understand me wrong.." Urmila pointed a finger at him "Don't call me that !! You can't call me that.. You have lost all the right !!"  Lakshman sighed "Ok.. I won't call you that.. But please.. Never consider yourself or your love unworthy... Its anything but that... Anyone would be lucky to marry you, Princess. You're beautiful, intelligent kind and generous.. Any man who marries you will be the luckiest. One who doesn't will be the unlucky one." Urmila was about to question him but Lakshman's words cut her "And I consider myself that Unlucky One... For it is not you but I who is the undeserving one here.. I am unlucky because I won't be able to marry you even though I've been in love with you.." Urmila gasped in surprise. Had the younger Prince just proclaimed his love for her. She didn't speak anything but let Lakshman continue. Lakshman continued "You are a Princess.. A princess who will someday be queen. And I am just a prince and that is all I can ever be. And my life.. Its is dedicated to my older brother Ram.. I have my responsibilities towards him that I cannot fullfil if marriage comes inbetween. This life that I have is devoted to serving my older brother Ram for that is my destiny. The morself that Maa Kausalya and Maa Kaikeyi fed my mother from their portions of the holy prasad is what has become Shatrughan and myself.  I had resisted myself against the concept of marriage and woman in general. I was successful too.. Until the day I met you.. I felt myself falling for you and I couldn't stop my heart Princess." Urmila looked shocked at him "You.. Love me ??" Lakshman took her hand in his and smiled "Yes.. The heart works in different ways.. What I am or what I want my life to be makes no difference to it.. From the moment I saw you in the garden, your lips curved into a beautiful smile greeting us with the utmost manners.. I was having a battle with my heart and mind at that moment which is what happened everytime I see you... I wanted to annihilate those Kings and Princes that had vyed for her hand during Sister Sita's Swayamvar. I wanted to shield you, protect you from all their gazes. I was jealous.. Jealous of all those kings.. Furious with all those people for having laid eyes on you."