Chapter Six: No Solution

My heart fell into the the pit of my stomach, as I read, repeatedly, the message on my phone. I could hardly believe that what I was observing was, in fact, reality.

I pinched myself with all the force I could bare, until I gave up and accepted it. I read it once more, my breathing uneven, muscles tensed.

'Hello.
You may not know me, but I know you. I know what school you attend, where you live, when you were born. And yet, you know nothing of me. Isn't that hilarious?

I know that you're sitting on your bed, on 78th Street. I see you as I'm sending this.

You're pathetic, ugly and stupid. Everyone hates you. Not a soul would care if you weren't on this planet - not even your Mummy and Daddy. Go die in a hole. Better to do it yourself than for me to get my hands dirty.'

I had no recognition as to the number; the sender could've been a block away, yet I'd be none the wiser. I threw my head into my hands, and attempted to think in a logical manner.

***

Nothing logical came of the extensive time I resided in my mind - nothing at all.

Why couldn't I tell my parents?
I'd have my phone confiscated.

Why couldn't I report and block them?
I didn't have the courage to do so.

All the perfectly reasonable methods from IT lessons flew away; a protracted distance from my brain. There was no solution.

Disconcerted and flustered, I grabbed ahold of my phone and threw it, with all of my strength, at my wardrobe, where the screen smashed into millions of tiny shards of glass.

I climbed beneath my blankets on my bed and wept, wept until there were no tears left to weep. My eyes closed tight involuntarily.

'Why was I even born?' I questioned myself mentally, as my consciousness slipped away from my control 'Why why why?'

It was almost as if my existence was a boxing match; life in one corner - burly, powerful, robust - and I in the other - weak, pathetic. The match had begun, and had escalated slowly. Then life threw a punch, impaling me, straight off. It seemed that there was no possibility of me winning - why did I bother even attempting?