Final Chapter: Sweet Victory

I awoke in a pale white room - in a hospital, most likely.

Attempting to move, I came to be cognizant of the fact that I was not alone.

Three figures approached me, with a fretful look upon their faces.

All three, however, I could recall seeing before.

As my eyes adjusted, I almost instantaneously knew who they were.

Ryan, Mom and Dad.

"Do you think she knows we're here?" Ryan inquired, his eyebrows joint together.

"Perhaps she does. She most likely doesn't, though," my Mother answered, lightly placing her hand on his shoulder.

He half-smiled in response; and he then, ever so gently, reposed his hand onto mine, resting upon the bed.

"W-w-what happened?" I finally catechized, my voice meek and hoarse.

"Oh, honey! You're okay!" Mom's arms flew around me, locking us both into a tight, loving embrace.

I screeched in sheer agony - even an act of cultivated devotedness inflicted pain upon me. My ribs were sore; more than I ever deemed possible.

"I think it'd be best if we don't touch her for a while, dear," Dad warned, his eyes fearful.

Mom nodded.

"What happened?" I repeated once more.

"Well... What do you remember?" Ryan asked, his hand now gripping mine.

"The last thing I remember is a load of screaming and being punched... That's all."

"After that, the bell rang, and Mr Murphy found you unconscious and them all crowded around us. He called an ambulance and the cops, and Charlene and Nathan and all the rest of them were taken away."

"Taken away?"

"Juvenile jail - they won't be out for quite a while, and even if they do get out early, they won't be coming back to school. They've been permanently excluded, every last single one of them, like they deserve."

"You m-m-mean... That we're okay?"

He nodded in response.

"Ryan told us everything - why didn't you say? Is that where you've been getting all these bruises from?" Dad's brows furrowed, "How could I have been so blind?"

I shook my head.

"It's okay."

"You just focus on getting better, okay?" Ryan's eyes were full of meaningful concern.

"I will," I reassured him.

***

It's been months since the most horrid times of my existence, and yet it feels to me like they were just yesterday. My crutches can get a little tedious for the most part - I always have to take the elevator - although I am grateful that I have them.

And as for Ryan and myself, well... Let's just suggest that we're both not single anymore.

I'd gotten up for one final battle with life, and it had a million to one chance of surviving my almighty hit. I'd won, despite everything I'd been through. My scars were clearly visible, and ultimately, I was weak. But it was worth every broken bone, every second of pain I'd endured. It was worth it all. Victory; sweet victory.

My name is Isabella Williams and I am not perfect - far from it, actually. And I could not be happier.