three

夏

kenma and kyouka came back in the afternoon. kenma was the one who insisted on going home because if it were for kyouka, she would have probably spent the rest of the day bathing in the water. during the two hours they were there, kenma had remained next to the edge of the pool to avoid the crowd. he was more comfortable and less anxious alone. he had swum a bit but then he had spent the remaining hour sat on the sort of bleachers around the pool. it was not hot enough to stay half-naked outside of the water, especially if you had just come out of it so, as kenma couldn't put back his clothes unless he took a shower to remove all traces of chlorine, he had wrapped himself around his towel instead.

kyouka seemed to have fun on her own. she had joined a group of teens or her age and from where he stood, kenma could see them playing with a ball, further in the pool. if it weren't for her, kenma could have just accompanied her and then left her alone but he knew his parents would have never let him do that. even if kyouka was fourteen, her parents judged it was too early to leave her alone in places like that, where she was exposed to everyone. at least kenma had gotten out of his room and had inhaled some fresh air while bicycling his way to the place.

when he came back the blonde-haired boy went straight to kuroo's house but it seemed no one was here so, he just left the bike against the garage, pretty sure no one would come and steal it. after heading back home, he took a shower, which probably was his third of the day, because his hair still scented like chlorine. the rest of the day he had spent it in his room again, playing games while kyouka spent all her time on the phone with one of her friends. since her room was across kenma's own he could hear everything, especially because she never closed her door. that afternoon he had to yell at her three or four times more than the usual so she would talk quietly. even with earbuds, he could still overhear her conversation.

then, quickly came the evening and kenma had been called out by his father so he would help set the table all the while waiting for his mom to finish preparing the dinner and for red-shirt's family to arrive. they were supposed to come at around seven so they would have enough time to drink something and talk before eating anything. kenma was used to these little gatherings since his mom often invited the parents of kyouka's friends or simply the neighbors with whom she talked every day. since it was summer and most of the neighbors still hadn't gone on a vacation and she wasn't going to work until the end of august it was for her the occasion to invite someone at home.

they had arrived in time, even a bit earlier than planned because they just had to cross the fence which separated both their houses. the blonde was the one who had to open the door, an order of his parents because they were both busy in the kitchen and his sister was still somewhere upstairs. having chosen kenma for that wasn't the best thing to do since he was certainly going to grow quiet in front of the couple as he didn't really know what to talk about. he told himself he just had to greet them and show them the living room. after that, he could just remain on the couch and hope to not hear a word from red-shirt's mouth. he noticed how kuroo had changed. he had swapped his typical red shirt for a black band tee. most of his hair was slicked back in spikes like in the morning and some locks fell on his forehead. the boy smiled at him and his mother greeted him again.