five

夏

later the same evening, he had had the confirmation that kuroo was back since he had witnessed him in his room he had a clear sight of since it was just across his own one. kuroo didn't see him, otherwise, he would have earned the forever eternal, slapdash greeting he didn't get that day. he had almost missed it.

maybe he really did miss it.

kuroo must have just gotten out of the shower because he wore his hair down when the blonde had seen him. it was the first time kenma had ever beheld him without his hair styled in spikes, and couldn't help but notice how when he had his hair down, he looked a tad more childish.

kenma had gone to bed early that evening but had jolted up awake in the middle of the night when he heard something thump against the glass of his window. he ignored the sound but it started again soon after. and again. and again. anxious but also angry, the blonde-haired boy stood off his bed and carefully walked towards the window, making sure the wooden floor wouldn't crack under his feet. the first thing he did was to open his curtain and he was more than startled to see no other than kuroo under his window, two bikes in hand, one he recognized again as his own.

he heard something fell between the edge of his window and its seal, thing he figured were small rocks the raven-haired boy had thrown at his window to get his attention. anger boiled in his veins when he thought about how the boy could have easily broken the glass. from afar kenma shook his head and arms in disbelief and opened the window as quietly as possible to avoid waking up his sister who slept in the nearest room, when he remembered it was past eleven and with the darkness, kuroo probably couldn't see the face he made.

"what are you doing?" he whispered and even though he had spoken in the lowest tone possible, he still felt as if everyone around had heard because of how silent it was outside.

"i couldn't sleep"

"you had to wake me up because you couldn't sleep?" the youngest sounded angry. anyone would have been mad.

"sorry" kuroo glared at his feet and scratched the back of his head, embarrassed. if it wasn't pitch black, kenma wouldn't have seen the awkward and abashed smile that had drawn itself on kuroo's face.

"is that all?" he sighed and was about to close the window again when kuroo added.

"wait! do you want to...go on a ride?"

"now?" kuroo nodded. kenma was about to refuse but something told him not to, so he turned his head around to think and asked the raven-haired boy to wait. he left the window ajar and silently gathered the edge of his bed, traced the outlines with his fingers and continued until he reached his wardrobe. still in the dark, he opened the furniture and felt the clothes inside until he found a sweater he hopped in just after. because kenma couldn't possibly go downstairs and open the front door without making any noise, he headed back to the window. he had never jumped from it but since the ceiling of the first floor wasn't that high, he figured he could easily jump from that height without fearing to get hurt.