nine

before he had passed the fence leading to his house, kenma had heard kuroo asking him whether he would like to come by after he had placed his purchases in the fridge. the youngest had accepted right away, though he didn't know what they were going to do. still, he couldn't help but feel excited deep down, because he had never seen kuroo's room other than the snippets he could peer at from his window.

so now, there he was, sitting on the edge of the raven-haired boy's bed, alone in the room while he waited for kuroo to come back with some drinks. the latter just had to go downstairs and open the fridge, therefore, it would take him less than two minutes to come back. yet for some reason, that lapse of time had seemed way longer to kenma. every second had seemed like an eternity but he didn't mind. it gave him enough time to thoroughly observe the tallest's room. it was exactly as he pictured it. very simple and refined. it held for only furniture a bed, a desk, and a wardrobe but it was bigger than kenma's own room. a small tv set leaned against the wall in front of the bed. exactly because there nearly wasn't any furniture, the room came off as larger than it was.

since the window faced the east, kuroo was able to catch some morning sun rays, when they weren't outshone by kenma's house. it was funny to think about it because for kenma it was the polar opposite. his window faced the west, thus he was able to enjoy sunsets every evening. kenma and kuroo were also as different as day and night. while kenma loved to ponder about the most staggering and astounding ideas all the while staying in his room on his bed, kuroo loved to go out and explore every inch of the earth on his bike.

given that it was already mid-afternoon when both of them had come back from the grocery store, the sun had turned and was now closer to the west than to the south hence why it was a tad dark in kuroo's room even if he had another window which had a view on the road. it was bright enough to see, so there was no need to turn the light on, but you could still feel the darkness. when kenma glanced at the wall in front of him, he perceived several pictures, most of them were sceneries but some others were ones of kuroo and the friends he had back in the city. he assumed they probably still talked to each other because of how close they seemed in the small photos. the tallest didn't like texting so in fact, he didn't keep contact with most of them yet happened to call one or two of their group.

next to the photos laid two skateboards, their wheels had been removed and the boards hung on the wall and were used as shelves. on top of them laid various cds or other objects. the walls were painted in a pale gray color, which was probably the work of the previous owner of the house. because of the subdued lighting, it was difficult to tell it was gray, but the ceiling remained white as a pearl so it created a contrast between the two shades.

kenma was quickly pulled out of his thoughts when he heard the door closing itself behind kuroo who had just come back from downstairs. he held the glass of juice kenma had asked in one hand and in the other a can of beer for himself.

"don't tell my parents, they're going to kill me" he laughed when he saw the youngest eyeing at the beer with round eyes and then threw himself on the bed and leaned his back against the wall behind him. kenma timidly took his glass and stayed at the edge of the bed without saying a word. it was the first time in a while he had been in a room other than his own. it was odd to be in a place he saw every day yet was so unfamiliar with. everything, even the air he inhaled and exhaled was unknown to him. kuroo, kuroo, kuroo everywhere. kuroo's bed. kuroo's clothes. kuroo's scent.

he took a sip of his juice and then carefully placed it on the nightstand near the bed. after doing that, he sat at the exact same place again. he knew he hadn't moved from an inch since the covers above the bed had been widespread with the shape of his bottom because of how long he had sat without fidgeting.

"you don't need to be so stiff, just, just make yourself at home" kuroo had leaned forward to place a gentle hand on kenma's left shoulder. it visibly wasn't a great idea because the latter only stiffened a little more at the contact. he had muttered a muffled 'sorry' before turning his head back at the tallest and awkwardly smile. "what do you want to do?" kuroo asked and placed his beer on the nightstand as well. "we can watch a movie or play some games. i have my PS4 in my room" he had gotten off the bed while saying that, waiting for a response.

"games are fine" he hoped it would distract his mind and help him relax a bit. watching a movie could have made the situation even more awkward because kenma sensed he wouldn't be able to focus on the story. "okay!" the tallest answered with a tone filled with excitement. he was the one who chose the game and it was one kenma had never heard of. it was an old multiplayer fantastic RPG game the oldest really enjoyed.

"left! on your left!" kenma was surprisingly very much into the game and had even forgotten that he was in kuroo's house. he was way more comfortable than earlier and it showed by the way he shouted at kuroo to move because he was near getting killed.

"shit"

"i warned you" the youngest shook his head and ran past kuroo's dead character before killing two or three enemies with a new magic spell. "they were right there behind the wall"

"ugh i'm done with this game" kuroo sighed and crossed both his arms behind his head before laying down on the carpet. he smiled at how he managed to make kenma relax, without letting him out of his sight. he had never noticed how much smaller kenma was, he had a really slim and slender silhouette and no matter what clothes he wore, they were always too big on him. the smallest looked so focused on the game kuroo understood how it was going to be hard to get his eyes off the screen. because of that he closed his eyelids. "wake me up when you're finished" he had said and kenma had nodded yet he was sure he had wasted his breath over it as the blonde-haired boy surely didn't listen and just nodded because he heard it but didn't completely process.

an hour or more must have been gone before kenma realized kuroo wasn't playing anymore. he had been so focused on the game that he had forgotten his surroundings. the tallest laid only a few inches from his very own body. he had moved from his initial position and was now on his side, an arm under his cheek to be more comfortable and avoid laying right onto the coarse rug. his eyes were still closed and his chest moved steadily to the rhythm of his breath. as soon as he realized, the blonde-haired boy turned the tv off and as he didn't know what to do and was too nervous to try to awake the latter up, he laid down next to him, in the same position so he would be able to look at him. he wasn't sure why he did it but he was aware of how it made him insanely smile.

some locks of his hair gently fell in front of tetsurou's eyes. his hair seemed dry because of the amount of gel he used every morning but for some reason, kenma still wanted to feel it between his fingers. he chose not to as he was too afraid to wake him up. instead, he remained there, on the rug, staring at the raven-black haired boy for what seemed to be endless minutes.

he tried his best not to make any noise which would wake up kuroo and after a while, he finally find peace and calm again. he slowly closed his eyes yet flashed them open as soon as he heard the door of the room open itself. he had been so taken aback that he had attempted to get up but his head hit the bottom of the bed instead and a sharp pain shot through his head. he ignored the pain and quickly sat up before anyone could see him in this position.

"tetsurou could you lend me..." kuroo's mother was standing in the hallway, she didn't finish her sentence when she saw how her son was asleep on the floor. the youngest didn't know what to say so he flashed an awkward smile to her to which she shook her head. "don't be scared to wake him up" she smiled and went downstairs without saying a word. kenma put a hand on his chest, near his heart because of how fast it was beating, if he were less rational he would believe it to be loud enough for the tallest to hear it. he was too shaken by the sudden arrival of red-shirt's mom to notice how the latter had inched closer to him. his face was now nearly touching kenma's thighs and the simple sight of how peaceful he looked made his heart skip a beat again.
__
hoot hoot

uhm i had no idea how to end this chapter and uhm let's ignore both facts that i ran out of gifs and that i said i'd write short chapters.