six

夏

for once, kenma had been disappointed when he woke up in the morning to drops of rain endlessly dripping on his window. the gravel path which led to the garden on the side of his house was coated with a dark gray color and some small puddles appeared in between the space empty of rocks. he didn't pinpoint why he was feeling so down though. he hadn't planned anything special, was surely going to stay at home all day and the weather gave him a good reason to stay indoors. but that morning, he had felt saddened about it. maybe it had to do with the fact the rain prevented him from hearing the usual sound of a bicycle passing by his house and from earning kuroo's undying greeting.

clinging to that greeting to see whether his day was going to be a good one or not almost made kenma want to slap himself. it was ridiculous to give so much meaning to a simple gesture, though it held a hell lot of things already. he hated much how a sign had so much power and weight over him. he hadn't even realized how much importance he had relentlessly given to it until he had missed it three or four times, which resulted in him reckoning he wouldn't be able to spend any other day without earning it.

it was a bit like the end of summer, it slowly goes away and lets autumn break into the houses but you only realize it when the sun sets earlier, the air gets colder and the first leaves begin to fall. or when you start to catch feelings for someone. you don't pay attention to it and suddenly, without a warning or a word, it is there and you can't flee from it.

no matter how much he craved to withdraw from it, it always came back and kenma unconsciously found himself waiting for it every morning, as a child would eagerly count every day left before chirstmas. he wanted to forget about it but, seeing kuroo didn't provide much help.

when he came back in his room after lunch, kenma was attracted to his window for the sole reason he wanted to see whether it was still raining as hard as prior in the morning, and also maybe to catch a hold of kuroo if he had had the great idea to go cycle in the rain. the smallest wouldn't even have felt surprised if he witnessed him do it. to his dismay, the alley in front of his neighbor's house was empty. he had expected it so, there was no reason for him to feel disappointed yet he still did.

he remembered how from where he was, he could perfectly peek into kuroo's room if he left his curtains open. out of pure curiosity, he turned his head to glance to the window and was immediately taken aback, when he spotted the guy standing right in front of his window, the same way as kenma did himself. the youngest wondered whether it was a pure coincidence or kuroo had seen him staring outside and thus, had decided to walk up to his window to see if he could greet him.

once their eyes met each other, he saw the tallest smile. kenma just stood there, not daring to do anything. after what it seemed to be minutes of silence and when kenma was about to look away and throw himself on his bed again, he sensed a hint of panic in the latter's eyes, therefore, he decided to stay a bit longer at his window.