Chapter Three

Midnight approaches, my room as empty as the dark, coldness seeps through me, thoughts are astray, barren even. The fireplace in front of me burnt peacefully. Surrounding the hearth, flames of red reflecting the burning sensation of my body.

Suddenly a soft breeze crept through the window as the light of the candle started flickering. Fearful yet calm, scared though not trembling, the unfamiliarity of the unknown presence is once again here, appearing in clear view. The once quiet wind has now enraged. The flare of the fire that once illuminated the room has now welcomed the darkness that the unknown visitor brought through.

Will they converse with me? Our eyes locked, staring intensely at each other through the open window. The once howling wind, now at a standstill, the dark night beams on me. The innocent faces disclosed no emotion, no clarity and yet their appearances were calm, so bright and innocent looking. Not knowing, do I dare not speak. I questioned how long we had lasted, seconds, minutes or even hours. Their eyes were hopeful but sad, I wondered what had happened to them. A vision I witness, I haven't gone mad, nor was I insane to begin with. The idea alone was abominable!

The distant footsteps can be heard creeping up the stairs, though my central focus was on these youngsters, my body at a standstill. Somewhere along the line, the thought dissolved and vanished. The clarity of my mind was gone in the blink of an eye.

The silence of the dark, so dreary and still.

The light wind swayed through the ominous sky, sound so quiet, shaking in shyness as to not upset the last remaining leaves of the autumn trees. The yielding dusk of the latest afternoon rendered in uneasiness, the wind slowly embraced, surrounding me, suffocating me. I tried to create a sense of the situation.

The faces of the innocent children left before my eyes could blink, a millisecond! Why had they vanished? They hadn't uttered a word to me, never had the chance to realise what their intentions had been! Frantically, I rushed towards the enlarged window. The temptation was too much! Incomprehensible speed! Where had they gone? Many questions unanswered but deep down, I was assured that we would meet again.