It's Scary What A Smile Can Hide

He followed Sero to the tall door and pushed it open, holding back the wince when his cuts were moved. He walked inside, plastering a smile on his face. His mask didn't crack, it stayed rock hard and it didn't move an inch. He walked to his seat, trying to hide his obvious tiredness and sluggishness by keeping his head held high and giving his eyes a false shine. 

He sat in his seat and watched as Aizawa-sensei unzipped his sleeping bag and yawned. He started talking about some sort of fitness test but his words fell upon deaf ears.

 He realised he had subconsciously started to move with all of the other students, his classic fake smile practically blinding those around him; just like how they were blind to his pain. 

Once he had changed in the bathroom (purposefully avoiding the locker room), he trudged out into the field. He heard faint chatter from everyone else but their words were muted to Denki Kaminari. Aizawa-sensei was explaining something, but the words went in through one ear and out the other for Kaminari. This was going to be one hell of a day. As Aizawa-sensei had explained the activity, Mina Ashido had volunteered to try first. He cheered her on and laughed, making his chest ache, and smiled, making his stomach knot, and his eyes had that false shine which made his heart sink.

"Smile, Denki!" there was that sickeningly cheerful voice again.

It's scary what a smile can hide.