chapter 16

Lizzie didn't understand what to feel, two of her dearest humans were getting to married and enjoy their happily ever afters and yet here she was, feeling all alone and wanting to be loved.

She looked up at her sister dressed in a beautiful white dress, she herself designed for her special day, the happiness shining on her face and the beautiful ring on her finger she had been fawning over from the night of the ball.

Right next to her stood, her best friend Charlotte also sporting a pretty engagement ring, a bit humble compared to her sister's but the smile that it brought onto her face was a stunner. It was weird for Lizzie to see Charlotte all lovesick and that too only within a few months, but as long as she was happy Lizzie had no reason to fret over the matter.

The past few months had passed within a whirlwind. Lizzie had not heard from either Darcy or Wickham and had been completely taken up with her work as well as her sister's wedding preparations, after all she was the maid of honor.

"Oh my daughter's look so lovely," Mrs. Bennett came in wiping her tears as she admired both Jane and Lizzie standing next to each other.

Mrs. Bennett might have been pretty nagging when it came to her daughter's parenthood especially Elizabeth, but for her it was a way of expressing her love.

It was one of the few moments, where Lizzie actually didn't mind her mother's antics and rather smiled at her fawning over her sister and herself

"Elizabeth, why don't you find yourself a good husband as well and let me see you in a wedding dress as well, you should learn something from your best friend Charlotte." Lizzie rolled her eyes at her mother's snide comment. Mrs. Bennett had thrown a fit when she had came across the news of Charlotte and Collins getting engaged, Lizzie was only thankful that she had moved out of the house long ago.

Charlotte unaware of what Mrs. Bennett meant blushed and unconsciously played with her engagement ring.

"Where is Lydia?" Jane's question brought everyone's attention to the youngest Bennett sister going through the liquor drawer like a professional.
Lizzie had to say her sister had one hell of an alcohol tolerance.

***

The ceremony was beautiful. William was happy for his friend Charles. He admitted that he had a few doubts about the Bennett's at the beginning but from his experience now be knew have Jane to be a kind and hardworking thing who if not more, was equally proud in her own sense of independence and capability like her sister Elizabeth and one of the qualities that he deeply admired in any person.

He was acting as the best man, but he didn't understand if he should be happy or sad about that single fact. It sure helped him to stay close to Elizabeth but their last meeting or day confrontation was still afresh in his mind.

Anyway, the wedding was over and so would the obligation for them to stay in each others vicinity.

He sighed as he looked at her dancing with one of her school friend's looking absolutely beautiful.

Suddenly he was brought out of his thoughts by a pat on his shoulder.
"So... You never really told me what happened with Elizabeth ?"
Charles questioned his friend as he approached William with his newly-wedded wife.

This caught Jane's attention who had been completely unaware of Lizzie's and William's secret "interactions".

William just looked at the two and shook his head in silent self-pity and walked away without another word.

"William and Elizabeth ? What's happening ?" Jane questioned her husband, surprised to the very core.

Charles realised his slip but then finally spilt the beans to his wife, if anyone knew Lizzie better than herself it was Jane and he thought adding some more ammunition to William's quest to win Lizzie over would not be so unwelcomed after all.

"I'll let you know all about it, but after we've had our time tonight." Charles smirked as Jane blushed at his comment and quickly shuffled to the dance floor.