dix-neuf

ASHTONS POV

I am brought back into consciousness from a needle ripping out of my arm because of my sudden movements. My eyes open slowly and I am met with white walls and bright fluorescent lights. My chest hurts. My head hurts. Why am I here? Where is Leah?

I sit up slowly, taking notice of the scar on my chest near my heart. What happened. Like I was hit with a brick, my memories flood back in.

I had a heart attack.

I take a moment to take in my surroundings. There's a note on the table to my right, orange juice and a cookie to my left, my phone and laptop on the couch by the door.

I am about to stand up when I feel an excruciating pain in my chest and head. I let out a loud groan and the door swings open.

My mother.

Her features light up like the stars at night when she takes notice of me and my consciousness.

"Where's Leah?" was the first thing I blurted out.

"Honey, I missed you so much!" she said completely ignoring my question.

"Mum, where is Leah? Is she at home? Wait- is she here!? Can I see her?"

"Sweetie, Leah is- um not here at the moment" she said, her eyes softening

"Oh. Well, can you pass me my phone? Never mind I got it" I street my arm over and reach for my phone, but my mothers hand grabs my own and gently places it on my lap. She sits down on the bed and slowly turns to face me.

"Ashton, baby, I need you to calm down... Leah, like I said isn't her at the moment, but she did leave you a note for when you did wake up." Confused by her tone of voice I nodded slowly asking for the note. She takes a small piece of paper from the desk and hands it to me.

"Read it and don't be angry because you know she loves you. Im going to head out, but I'll be here tomorrow to sign you out. Love you" She bends down softly kissing my forehead and then leaves the room.

I look down at the note, staring intently as if I'm waiting for it to unfold on its own. I slowly and carefully unfold the note, making sure not to accidentally rip it. When it's opened I close my eyes and take a breath preparing myself for whatever I'm about to read.