11 | preparation

The Interhigh Prelims were going to be held tomorrow. Itachiyama was ranked first after winning the Kantou tournament and only played from the third round. With nothing else better to do, (Y/N) wanted to watch the teams battle their way through.

"Kiyo, let's go!" It was lunchtime at Itachiyama and (Y/N) was trying to convince Sakusa to go with her.

"No."

"Fine, I'll ask Komori then." She huffed out and pouted before walking away.

When Sakusa heard that she was going to ask Komori instead, it didn't sit well with him, so he followed her to Komori.

"Sure!" Komori enthusiastically agreed. "Is Sakusa going?"

"Well, he said no-"

"I'll go." Sakusa popped up from behind (Y/N), who jumped and swiftly turned around.

"Gah! Kiyo, you scared me! What are you, a ghost?"

"A ghost, is that what you think of me?" Sakusa tilted his head to the side.

"No you just appeared out of nowhere and scared me, that's all." (Y/N) exhaled the air she held in when Sakusa startled her.

"So you're going now, Sakusa?" Komori asked.

"I guess so," Sakusa nonchalantly shrugged.

"Great! All three of us can go!" (Y/N) grinned. The bell rang shortly after, and the three of them returned their class.

The sun is brilliant in the cornflower-blue sky as if one perfect petal was stretched so wide around all the world. The trio walked into Ota City General Gymnasium to be met with the sound of chatter and balls bouncing against the floor.

"So many people!" (Y/N) gawked and spun around as if a child was entering a candy shop.

Sakusa shivered at the sight of the many people surrounding him. Why did he agree to come?

"Let's go watch the match between Umagaku High and Kanemoto Tech High!" (Y/N) waved the pamphlet she was holding around before running ahead of the two boys.

"You seem really excited to see this match, (Y/N). May I ask why?" Komori strides behind (Y/N) as she practically bounced towards the court where the match was held.

"I heard that he also comes from America. He hasn't been here long, yet he already made a name for himself!"

Sakusa sauntered from behind, closely listening in on their conversation.

He could care less about the person (Y/N) was talking about; unless he deemed them a threat, of course. Suddenly, there was a big whoosh of air followed by the crowds loud cheering.

Standing at 6'3" tall, a fair-skinned man easily spiked the ball through a two-man block. His strawberry blonde hair hanged over his face as he high-fived his teammates.

Sakusa silently stared at the man. He had powerful spikes, but most of them would land outside the boundary. In other words, his aim and control of the ball were terrible. Other than his power, he wasn't much of a threat.

"..."

• • •

"Which court are we on?" Sakusa peered at the clipboard (Y/N) was holding. They were playing the third match of the day against the winner of the match they watched the day before.

"We're on Court C!" (Y/N) gleefully spoke. They were going to go against Umagaku High, the school that the man attended and played for.

(Y/N) was walking back to the bench with the fresh towels when suddenly she bumped into someone, dropping all the towels she was holding.