Chapter one

"Owl, would you please go and catch some prey?" Her mother, Twig a siamese she-cat with green eyes asked.

Owl's family were starving. They didn't properly know how to hunt, and when they tried, a Darkclan patrol would stop them and steal their prey.

Owl nodded and muttered a farewell to her mother, before padding out into the wild woods.

She didn't walk far before catching the scent of mouse. It smelled strange, as if it was dead.

She followed the scent and it led her to two voices close to Twoleg place. It smelled like Darkclan and kittypet, she thought it was strange and was about to flee, before getting attacked by the clancat, but it looked at Owl with it's tensing yellow eyes and hissed. "Who are you? This is my territory!"

She thought for a moment, then emerged from the undergrowth she hid in and snapped. "You're not that good at protecting "your" territory, if you let kittypets in like that."

The other cat, a hairless she-cat with an angry blue gaze hissed at Owl, a dead mouse laying by her paws. But the clancat, a long-furred dark-gray tabby she-cat with yellow eyes just looked at her. "But why are you here?" She repeated sounding annoyed.

"I was hoping to find some prey, me and my mother are really hungry." Owl meowed, trying to sound as helpless as possible. The dark-gray she-cat looked at her, her yellow gaze turning slightly soft and she hesitantly meowed. "I can help you catch some prey, if you'd like."

Owl nodded thankfully and mewed. "My name is Owl. It's really nice of you!"

The gray she-cat nodded friendly to Owl. "My name's Darkwing, and that's Milky." She nodded in the direction of the hairless she-cat whose blue gaze was more calm now.

The gray tabby began talking again. "I'll show you a good place to hunt," She offered before facing Milky again. "Milky, I'm sorry, but I don't think that you hunt that much, do you mind staying here?" When the she-cat nodded, Darkwing and Owl went off into the undergrowth again.

When the two cats were done hunting Darkwing had caught two mice, Owl had caught a single squirrel and they walked in the direction of Owl's home, an old twoleg shack.

When Owl led Darkwing into the shack and into a little hole where her family would eat and sleep her mother looked up and tensed. "What is that cat doing here?"

"She helped me catch all this freshkill!" Owl purred.

The two cats put their freshkill in the corner that was already covered with a little pile of old bones.

Owl led Darkwing out of the shack again and meowed farewell to each other.

She padded into the hole in the shack again and saw that Twig had already begun eating one of the mice, she walked over to join her and took the other mouse, a little gray vole and began eating it as well.

She walked a bit close to the Darkclan border in her own thoughts.

She passed some Twoleg nests and out of a small space between two resting twoleg monsters on stone floor emerged the gray tabby tom that always annoyed Owl, Ryan. "So what are you doing?" Ryan meowed.

"I'm just walking, obviously." Owl snapped, already annoyed.

"But you're not a "kittypet", so why are you here?"

"I said that I'm just walking around."

"Why don't you just go home to your starving family?"

Owl rolled her eyes and turned around to go home, she didn't want to spend one more second with that mousebrain of a tom. She wished that she could join the clancats in the forest so that she didn't have to worry about starving and running into the annoying kittypet Ryan.

She emerged from the shadows into her family's home. Her father, Leaf was eating a thrush and looked up when he heard Owl. "There you are, Owl," He meowed, slightly annoyed. "Where were you?"

"I was just going for a walk at the border." Owl answered and rolled her eyes.

"Stop dreaming about becoming a clancat," He argued. "Stay here, we have warmth and food."

Owl rolled her eyes not wanting to argue. She took a vole from the little freshkill pile, If you could even call it that, she thought and nipped at her vole. When she was done eating, she lay down on the cold floor and curled her tail over her nose.