Chapter Two

"Another day, another story and another scene," I'd repeat these words every morning to remind myself that yesterday's mistakes don't define tomorrow's successes. Today, I woke up two hours earlier than usual, a first for me. I quickly prepared for school and waited for Dad to drive me.

On our way, I marveled at the sights. I'm usually late, so I rarely pay attention to my surroundings. Today, though, I focused on enjoying the ride. Arriving at school, I hugged Dad goodbye, grabbed my things, and headed to class.

As I approached, someone called, "Liss, wait!" It was Christian Parker. I was still angry at him for yesterday's incident, but I found myself stopping anyway. His charming smile and perfect eyes always seemed to disarm me.

He caught up and offered a lame excuse, one he'd used countless times before. I tried to stay mad, but his intoxicating scent clouded my judgment. Eventually, I relented and accepted his apology.

When I entered class, Miss Davis called me up and asked everyone to applaud my punctuality. I was both flattered and embarrassed.

I pulled out my science book and found a small yellow card beneath it. It read, "Meet me at the hockey grounds, 5pm sharp." No name, no explanation. I wondered if Christian was behind it, but why wouldn't he have just told me?

I decided to go. Arriving late, I found another card, this one gray. It said, "Time isn't your strong suit, I see. See you when you see me." I waited, but it was in vain. Finally, I gave up and headed to the bus.

As I approached home, I saw Christian standing in our driveway, wearing a gray hoodie. He walked over, opened his arms, and I hugged him. His scent was delightful. He whispered, "I'm sorry" and pulled away.

He moved closer, as if to kiss me, but instead took out a small black leather box. He opened it, revealing a necklace. Without a word, he asked me to turn around so he could put it on.

I was overwhelmed with emotions and unsure how to react. Just then, I heard Dad's car. I thanked Christian, hugged him again, and helped Dad with the groceries. I noticed Christian wasn't helping, which was odd.

I hoped to talk to him later, but when I went outside, he was gone. His absence was strange. Dad called me inside, and I saw a look of disapproval on his face, something I hadn't seen in years.